Range rover 2 doors replacement parts

dirtyninety

I've just taken the wise decision to invest my money in a 2 door in need of a lot of welding, my question, are replacement panels available? Is there a good source of parts?

Do more modern foreign market 2 door rangies share many of the same panels?

I assume that you are talking about the steel inner panels such as inner wings, sills, floors and rear body frame etc rather than the outer alloy panels?

I am by no means an expert on 2 doors as I have never had one. However, I think that the bits from YRM will fit or certainly be close. I know that Task on here used YRM when he did his CSK. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=65865&page=1

Not sure about the foreign ones. I think a lot will be the same, apart from the obvious LHD/RHD.

I have a two door and have used YRM, albeit for a four door. Firstly - yes they have panels suitable for a two door **as far as I know** and I found them to be a very professional outfit with great attention to customer service and satisfaction. So best give them a call.

However whereas their inner sills are high quality and fit fine, and assuming they'll fit a two door - they aren't exact copies of the originals as they do not have small braces that sit mid panel. I have seen another vendor on ebay selling an inner sill that seems to be a closer copy with these little wavey bits of metal attached. Also the top end corners of the YRM inner sill is folded in, which if left as is, will create a gap once offered up to the outer sill. A small piece of metal should be welded in there [at each end] before fitting. The outer sills won't have the holes pre cut in them for the plastic sill trims or the alu tread plates either. Lastly the YRM outer sills don't have the rubber door seal channel attached and I'm not sure YRM can actually provide it, although they do produce the later type.

The main difference between two and four doors apart from the doors/pillars is the rear seat squab which is raked on the later cars but a right angle on the original two doors. It's not a big rust trap though so it shouldn't make a big difference save for it meaning the boot floor is a considerably longer panel, which I think is difficult to come by, it's aluminium.

The whole front end is readily available, as a whole or in various sections including foot well repair sections. The rear inner panels are also available save for the goal posts which you'll probably have to cut from another car if you need them. The gearbox tunnel panel which incorporates the front floor for both driver and passenger is another thing that will probably have to come from a donor. The floor sections of it are made of steel as thin as drinks cans, so difficult if not impossible to weld.

To the best of my knowledge [use common sense] the following are interchangeable between two or four door:

Rear cross member

Foot well to bulkhead repair panels

Inner / outer sills [although you'll see that there are varying outer sills depending on how much floor you need to replace. I believe the ones with 140mm of floor are appropriate for the two door. But select at your own descretion.

Whole front end [Although later cars have some welded panels where earlier cars are bolted]

Roof

Goal posts

Hope that helps :)

George

I have a few odd bits of interior, a couple of doors, gearbox, some window glass and probably some other tat! All kicking about in my stores.

If you need any bits for a couple of beer tokens give me a shout. I am in Suffolk though

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the age of the 2 door, the CSK uses welded construction for the body and the only differences in construction are the A posts and the B post/side panel between A and C post.

The earlier 2 doors had bolt in panels and a different floor plan layout.

Exterior panels are roughly the same, fuel filler cap became covered and then eventually became the high level filler. Front wings had indicators in different places. They always had exposed door hinges but bonnet hinges became hidden.

My repair panels came from YRM and seemed to have been modeled around a mid 80's 4 door, I had to fabricate the bottom of the B posts as they weren't available at the time and the bonnet latch config was from an early car. The quality of the panels was great and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

You're only up the road so if you want to have a look at either of the two doors let me know.

It depends on the age of the 2 door, the CSK uses welded construction for the body and the only differences in construction are the A posts and the B post/side panel between A and C post.

The earlier 2 doors had bolt in panels and a different floor plan layout.

Exterior panels are roughly the same, fuel filler cap became covered and then eventually became the high level filler. Front wings had indicators in different places. They always had exposed door hinges but bonnet hinges became hidden.

My repair panels came from YRM and seemed to have been modeled around a mid 80's 4 door, I had to fabricate the bottom of the B posts as they weren't available at the time and the bonnet latch config was from an early car. The quality of the panels was great and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

You're only up the road so if you want to have a look at either of the two doors let me know.

Cheers Pete, I added you as a friend on facebook the other day, When I've got the logbook sorted and gathered a few parts I may need to nip up and take a few measurements and see what things should actually look like!

Its a 1987

13413019_10153475422247085_2754007443364

Cheers Pete, I added you as a friend on facebook the other day, When I've got the logbook sorted and gathered a few parts I may need to nip up and take a few measurements and see what things should actually look like!

Its a 1987

13413019_10153475422247085_2754007443364

I wondered if that might be you :)

It looked pretty interesting by the photos on FB, that front grill looks like it could be from a sheer-rover - http://www.range-rover-classic.com/Home/land-rover-brochures/range-rover-specials/wood-pickett-ltd---uk

Does it have interior modifications?

It has loads of interior modifications unfortunately not by WP. I'll have to source a new dash ideally.

The plan is to get it running and welded then worry about tidying it up.

Do you know if 4 door tail gates will fit a 2 door shell?

It has loads of interior modifications unfortunately not by WP. I'll have to source a new dash ideally.

The plan is to get it running and welded then worry about tidying it up.

Do you know if 4 door tail gates will fit a 2 door shell?

Yes they will, but you'll either need the correct tailgate for the age or convert the catches and handle mechanism. They can be either external or internal handle and these had different catches to the body. An 87 4 door would be internal handle...

I have a lower dash section (where the difflock light goes) that you can have. Also some tail lights.

Can you make a nice picture of that spare wheel carrier please

What pics do you need, I have one outside on the driveway, I can easily take some pics for you Dave.

cheers, Steve