Araldite - Which tube is the hardener...?

Maverik

Hi Folks...

Maybe a stupid question, but I can't really find a clear answer anywhere... I was wondering out of araldite which tube is the hardener, as I've been using a bit recently and its staying a little tacky, without doing a test I wonder if the brain trust knew what the answer was... anyone?

Cheers

Mav

The product commonly known as Araldite (as in epoxy) is usually a 50 / 50 mix, some say hardener on one of the tubes, others say part A and B, I assume yours is the latter and I don't know which is which either.

I find weather, age of product, surface it's sticking too and how well I've mixed it all make a difference to the time to go off. Also I find the 24h stuff has better weather resistance than the 15 minute stuff.

Edit - according to t'internet co2 can react with the hardener and leave the surface feeling tacky but it's cured underneath and the tacky layer can be wiped off. You don't need to talk to it to make it cure like you do flowers to make them grow you know! ^_^

Aye, turns out its the red tube... I'm not looking to have it set quicker, just trying to avoid the tackyness I was encountering, I used a tad more hardener in the stuff I was mixing last night, will see what its done later.

(for some reason in my head I accounted the tackiness to lack of hardener...) - but now logically thinking about it its probably more down to inadequate mixing than anything...

Aye, turns out its the red tube... I'm not looking to have it set quicker, just trying to avoid the tackyness I was encountering, I used a tad more hardener in the stuff I was mixing last night, will see what its done later.

(for some reason in my head I accounted the tackiness to lack of hardener...) - but now logically thinking about it its probably more down to inadequate mixing than anything...

Thats not a good idea with epoxys, it is a chemical reaction between the two components, not a catalyzed reaction like a polyester resin. If it does set it will not be as strong as it should be. Since you are using araldite presumably you are mixing small quantities so this may not work. When I mix epoxy I will mix it in one cup and then transfer it to a second cup that I apply from, this stops you picking up any unmixed resin off the sides of the mixing container. Also as others have mentioned temperature and humidity can have an effect on the cured surface.