OT: Thinking about a new 4wd pickup. Experienced views invited :)

Hi Gary,

Yes still got mine. No complaints [so far], it's just nice to be able to chuck stuff in the back, get in and drive the thing. Unfortunately the same could not be said of the last Defender I had [from new] or one or two of it's forerunners. Effortless towing and performs ok across the land and in the snow.

I've just had a couple of little problems with mine, some times when you turn the engine on it sounds like its struggling for fuel and splutters and cuts out. when it goes in for another service i'll bring it back to the attention see if a filters blocked somewhere.  Other than that my wild track 2016 has been great. i get about 27mpg AVG

On 3/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, Keith Keir said:

I've just had a couple of little problems with mine, some times when you turn the engine on it sounds like its struggling for fuel and splutters and cuts out. when it goes in for another service i'll bring it back to the attention see if a filters blocked somewhere.  Other than that my wild track 2016 has been great. i get about 27mpg AVG

I've read several people say that theirs sounds like a box of spanners and runs rough for a little while when starting from cold.

Ye mine just seems to sound like its really struggling to get fuel and just stops, normally only happens when i park on a hill facing upwards. other than that small problem its been great! loads of room for the dogs in the back and no wet dog smell!

6 hours ago, Keith Keir said:

Ye mine just seems to sound like its really struggling to get fuel and just stops, normally only happens when i park on a hill facing upwards. other than that small problem its been great! loads of room for the dogs in the back and no wet dog smell!

What year? Engine?

Checked to see if it's throwing any codes? Fuel pressure relief valve gets a mention on the Ranger groups every now and again....

We had a 2015 wildtrak (pre facelift), sold it a couple of weeks ago. Had a bit of a problem with cutting out or not starting as if it had a flat battery and going into limp home. Went to Ford a few times and they kept it for a while, said they couldn't find anything but it seemed to go away so either a software update fixed it or I suspect batteries as my father in law had battery related problems on a transit so I wonder if it was a bad batch.

Other than that it was a nice truck, used to get 25mpg - 29mpg.

Shop around and you can pick them up at a good saving.

They've started bringing in the lower spec Amaroks which has helped bring the list price down. I wouldn't say either are better but they are different. The V6 engine can be remapped to 320bhp if your into that sort of thing :wacko: and you can get full time 4wd. The ford is more truck like and the amarok more suv like I guess.

Nissan seem to have problems getting parts at the moment, perhaps that's why the release of the Renault has been delayed?

The Mercedes dealers say they can't sell them, they're just too expensive.

The Mitsubushi and Fiat impressed me, one of the few that can run in 4wd on the road and the Fiats are really good value.

There's a new San Yong coming out which will be the only pickup that can both tow 3.5tonne and carry 1 tonne at the same time... and San Yongs are usually good value!

Thanks for your replies , i’ve got a 14 plate 110 utility wagon & a transit custom dciv, love the tranny for how comfortable it is , how nice to drive and it’s fuel economy but then love the defender for its ability to tow and it’s character , so thought the ranger might be a happy medium (without the character obviously)