Removing Dislocation Cones

I've recently brought a Defender, with a 2 inch lift, big wide tyres and dislocation cones on the rear axle.

It tramlines a bit on bumpy roads, but occasionally it just feels terrible. Utterly terrible.

My plan is to fit castor corrected radius arms in the future, but since I don't predominantly use it off road, I think the dislocation cones are a bit overkill, and well, making it awful on the road.

I've seen a few people with the cones at the top at the spring, whereas mine are on the axle?

IMG_20160607_190708590_zpscdpqlbjm.jpg

To remove them, I've purcahsed some spring retention plates, and new lower spring seat. Is this all I need to remove them, and will this work?

Removing them will do absolutely nothing for the tramlining. They are completely inert and have no effect at all on the steering or suspension unless the axles are articulating - even then the only effect they have is to help relocate the spring back onto its seat.

If you want to solve the handling issues is look at the tyres and suspension lift first, but equally it could be any number of worn out, under lubricated, damaged or just badly adjusted OE steering or suspension components

Where are you located? Perhaps a local experienced forum member may be able to help you

I think there about 33...

Good call about the brake pipe, I have never noticed that before!

So I think it has a 2inch lift all round, with orange unbranded / unstickered shocks that I assume are 'britpart cellular dynamic rear shock absorber plus 2 inch'

If I was to remove the 2inch springs, and return to a standard height, would I need to fitting standard height dampers as well?

lloks like britpart hd springs and the foam shocks. you need to get under it with a pry bar and give every bush a good wiggle/prod/poke/jiggle to see if any have play. then i would be checking wheel bearings/swivel bearings including all track rods ends and even steering uj's. panhard rod bushes are a faviorite for causes 'wondering' issues. looking at the pictures, would probably be well worth returning to standard height, no need for that lift with such small tyres. hth :)

Ok, this all sounds fairly good advice. I guess if I drop it down aswell, then there is no need Castor corrected radius arms either; massive benifit.

So, if I got myself a set of front shock turrets, new standard height springs I would be able to retain the shock absorbers and the end result would be about a standard ride height?

• 2 years later...

Was just looking back through old posts. For completeness sake the problem was that 1 of the front wheels was pretty much down to 3mm of tread,  the other side was as around 15mm..

May be exaggerating the depths, but the considerable difference on tyre size made braking and bumpy roads interesting.

2 new front tyres and it drove like a 'proper' car!

Thanks for the help guys

• Like 2