The Plains

tpk241

Hi all,

For anyone in the Salisbury plain area me and a few mates were up there on sunday 26th Nov and the mud was excellent. All this rain has really filled up the holes and we all got lots of water in our footwells ... The land warden was around for a chat and kept us up to date and whats allowed at the mo ...

Anyone else venture up their this weekend ? We started of at westbury white horse and followed byways a fair way in ...

TPK

we're planning to do a couple of days on the plain over easter, old sod on saturday then 2 days lanning on sunday and monday...

do you have any details of legally drivable stuff, i've got memory map, but i know the MOD plod patrol the area and the penalties for getting it wrong are harsh, so certainly want to stay on the right side of the law!

any help or advice would be most appreciated...

m@tt.

we're planning to do a couple of days on the plain over easter, old sod on saturday then 2 days lanning on sunday and monday...

do you have any details of legally drivable stuff, i've got memory map, but i know the MOD plod patrol the area and the penalties for getting it wrong are harsh, so certainly want to stay on the right side of the law!

any help or advice would be most appreciated...

m@tt.

Look here

http://www.army.mod.uk/ate/public/salisplain.htm

Buy the latest Landranger maps, "Salisbury and the Plain" and "Swindion and Devizes". Any route marked as a BOAT is OK to drive and, as I recall, the latest mapping has the latest byway diversions marked on it - although not the few routes upgraded to BOAT. Most of the RUPPs marked are still RUPPs although there are a lot of applications in for upgrade which pre-date the cut-off set by NERC.

Memory map will allow you to see where the BOAT deviates from the cat1 tracks and other routes used by miltary vehicles. There are a very great number of BOATs that show no user evidence - in other words, they are just grass tracks.

Be aware that the army close areas of the plain when they are shooting at one another. This is indicated by the hoisting of red flags (red lights at night) and you must not enter the area when the flags are up - those areas being the areas shown as "Danger Area" on your maps. Over Easter it is likely that there will be no military activity and that Imber will be open.

Cheers

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

Yeah, i was up there in my green 90. was around sidbury hill area watching the motorbike enduro with SWMBO and the puppy, then headed over across the ranges and back to Marlborough.

I saw a couple of groups of 4x4's on the track from the chalk pit towards Charlie crossing (the one with the baily bridge across the river)... was that you?

I'll be up there tomorrow (Thursday) night too if anyone is about?

Guest diesel_jim

Fron the above link, bottom of the page:

Headquarters ATE SP

Westdown Camp, Tilshead, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP3 4RS

Telephone: 01980 620819

LIVE Firing Information line: 01980 674763

Guest diesel_jim

Anyone out there this sunday?

i'll be leaving Swindon early o'clock, heading towards Devizes, across the plain, south of Salisbury then back up across the plain again if anyones wants to meet up and have a brew?

I'll have CB on ch:35, or PM me for my mobile.

jamie