Battery Rattle Gun ? Recomendations please

I currentlu use a 14 CFM Compressor and a Ingersol Rand Rattle gun to strip diffs....

Noisey as hell !

Although I think I am part deaf it gives me a head ache, last wends I stripped 38 Diffs, and ended

up with a workshop full of scrap, EP90 stench and a blinding headache from the constant rattlegunning / compressor on.

I am told that the 24v / Modern / posh battery rattle guns are now on par with the above powerwise, and obvious better for what little sanity I am

gripping on to > ??

Is this right ...and if so recomendations / specs / links / prices please :D ??

Nige

I've got a Sealey battery one:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=12317

I paid about 1/2 of that price from tooled-up or somewhere similar though!

It was OK - it's good when the battery is full, as it starts dropping then the torque drops rapidly too. It's not as powerful as a proper air one though..

After not a lot of use the battery pack is scrap and doesn't charge.. At some point i'm going to have to source / build another one...

I'd prob suggest a set of earplugs as the best solution!!

I picked up a SnapOn CT6850 from a car boot (I know!) and it's been excellent, but it still doesn't beat a good windy gun.

if it needs to run all day and not be air.. I'd get a mains powered one.

even the cheap ones are pretty good

I've heard the Clarke 240v one is very good, and it's not a whole lot of money either. Lack speed adjustment by trigger is its only downside apparently.

I think the others have nailed it Nige, that sort of HD use will involve spending big bucks on a rattle gun and at least 2 batteries.

My local tyre place uses the Milwaukee stuff if that's any help. I asked them because I was considering a Bosch 'blue' windy gun as I've already got batteries from my drill driver set. Apparently the Bosch held up well but didn't quite have the Grunt (it's an SI unit) of the Milsuckys.

As others have suggested, I'd look seriously at getting the compressor outside into a doghouse? Can always line it with something to dampen the noise if you’re worried about the neighbours. That, and a set of ear plugs on a bit-of-string, is a good compromise between full size cans and annoying foam earbuds falling out

http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/power-tools/cordless-power-tools-drill-drivers-combi-drills-impact-drivers-angle-grinders-impact-wrenches/cordless-impact-drivers-cordless-impact-wrenches/dewalt-dcf889m2-impact-wrench-2-18v-4ah-li-ion-batteries.html

i have that one but spent a bit more and got it with 2 5ah batteries - its amazing!

mate uses one daily - quarry fitter and he abuses hell out of it, great.

Way better than the milwaukee i had

Snap-on 1/2" gun , I've had mine 8 yrs and only had a battery fail last year , the batteries charge quickly if not overheated and the torque is better than any 1/2" air rattle gun I've tried . When I use it for steel erecting it can be a full day of use on M16 and M20 nyloc's .

I would also suggest building a dis-assembly bench /trolley with a perforated table , sides and a rear wall to house extraction , that much stinky burnt used ep90 can't be good in one go ?

What do you use to clean the parts/ assemblies Nige ?

cheers

Steveb

I've got an old Saley ni-cad driver has has served me well over the years, but i will be uprgrading to a Makita brushless li-on 5 amp when it dies. I use the small Makita impact drivers daily for carpentry and drive hundreds of screw in with them, great bits of kt.

Milwaukee every time. The snap on gun Steve has is good but they have changed them now and they are utter carp.

I'm fix agricultural machinery and tractors all day, after my snap on stuff got stolen I got Milwaukee impact gun, drill, grinder and grease gun and won't look back, more power, longer lasting and lighter, not to mention a damn site cheaper and 3x the warranty. I often have a 25mm blacksmith drill in my cordless drill for drawbar brackets ect the thing threw the apprentice across the floor when it grabbed and the handle got him right in the stomach one day :D

There's so many options it gets a little confusing but you want the 18v 1/2" drive fuel friction ring IMHO part no.M18CHIWF12 that's the daddy for 1/2"

Give JACs a ring on 01756 797125 and ask for Pete, he has done me some cracking deals.

Will.

for big power on a big gun.. milwaukee or ingersoll rand win hands down

for what i do, mainly nut running. i have a Makita DTW281 with the later lithium ion batteries. the numbers arent that impressive but it will tiddle land rover wheel nuts and its a god send as a nut runner. its a real compact body, the only complaint i have is that i wanted one with a 3/8" square drive, this has 1/2" square drive.

it tinkles on snap-on guns for breakfast and the batteries will last for yonks. approx 4x snap-on or Hitachi charges (when compared fitted to equivalent sized drill/drivers in a busy working environment)

has the added bonus of being able to turn the power down for smaller stuff too. ive had it about 18 months and its had some hammer but i love it!

I did hear the new snapon battery rattle guns were carp ....why do companies do that ? renew a product line and make worse ?

We have Milwaukee battery drills - 1/2" at work and they never get hot . out of 5 new Makita battery sets bought last year 2 drills have overheated and stopped and the 4 1/2" grinder lasted about 20min's

I will get new batteries while the gun is good and then look for what is good when the time comes

Extraction bench imo is a must

cheers

Steveb

I have Milwaukee tools, including a 1/2 rattle gun, great pieces of kit.... can't fault them when after the abuse I have put then through, no failures.

Their newer batteries are also smaller and more powerful, but same format, so win-win for old tools :)

Again Milwaukee, the 1/2" cordless impact gun is a brilliant bit of kit,amazingly powerful but can be gentle if you need it. I was so impressed I bought the 3/8 one and again,a brilliant tool. just done a TD5 exchange recon engine in a Defender,saved heaps of time.

All because I wasn't impressed when my Snap on rep told me my 1/2" gun was out of date and no parts are available... I asked around for an alternative and all the opinions I trust said Milwaukee, and not dragging dirty airlines up my trouser legs is a bonus too.

• Like 1

I picked up a SnapOn CT6850 from a car boot (I know!) and it's been excellent, but it still doesn't beat a good windy gun.

I've heard the Clarke 240v one is very good, and it's not a whole lot of money either. Lack speed adjustment by trigger is its only downside apparently.

I've got one, it was very good....manged to break it though...have got spares, but not got round to repairing it.

Makita do a battery one, friend just bought one, works for him, but whether it would be up to that much work I wouldn't like to say

There's 10+ old style ni-cad snap on guns at work all are good maybe apart from batteries going soft but that's to be expected, I was the first to buy a new style lithium iron one about three years ago and it was carp, I had two new ones under warranty and when that went I had to pay the £90 re conditioning charge to get it swapped, each time I was without the thing for at least a month and three months the last time. I've had one Milwaukee battery go duff and they had a new one to me within a day of collecting my duff one. My charger has just started to go iffy so we'll see how they do with that but I can't complain, it lives at the back of the van and has got wet a time or two.

Just be aware snap on can't sell the old style batteries for much longer so get onto your rep if you need some!

Will.

i have a milwaukee 5ah 1/2 impact gun, bloody amazing!! batteries last ages and very powerful, beats mt last snap on 8850 hands down. it loving being abused and just gets on with it unlike snap on one. big buying point for me is the aftercare/repair service. not needed it yet but very fast turnaround. with its battery life and power has made the air tools completly redundant at our work. milwaukee are also about to release a high demand 9ah battery! :)