Battery Rattle Gun ? Recomendations please

I would use a 110 or 240V mains fed one. For the amount of use that yours will get, and the torque involved, you will forever be waiting on batteries to recharge, and batteries on modern tools don't seem to last many cycles (my Bosch drill batteries stopped taking much of a charge after two years). The flex is a bit of a nuisance, but not as much as a dead battery, and the gun will be much more powerful while no noisier than the battery operated one.

I Have the Makita BTW450 (now DTW450) but also the very small DTW280.

With the 450 I can change tyres of 6 cars (4 off, 4 on) on 1 battery easily.

Even the DTW280 is good for changing tyres but very very handy in small places etc, used it a lot to assemble my 110

I would say the rattle gun part of the noise for air vs electric is likely to be the same.

So that leaves the compressor, so get a Hydrovane compressor, they are very quiet.

This.

My little Dewalt impact driver (for screws etc) makes almost as much noise as my 1/2" air impact gun!

So I think you need some decent ear protection, either good over ear or decent in ear squishy ones (put in properly), Or move the compressor elsewhere. Hydrovanes are silly money new! although nice and quiet.

I picked up an 8.2 FAD CFM (which is about the same as a 12 CFM displacement compressor) Hydrovane 502 with 100l tank for £395 second hand.

It's been great but new ones are spendy

Thats pretty good!

I think Nige would benefit greatly from moving the compressor out of the garage and gaining a bit of space in there.... its packed!!!! :lol:

I picked up an 8.2 FAD CFM (which is about the same as a 12 CFM displacement compressor) Hydrovane 502 with 100l tank for £395 second hand.

It's been great but new ones are spendy

that's a good price. New it's about £1600 plus vat very good compressors though so long as you look after them

Wow!

There's a good size hydrovane in storage at work, it was a backup compressor until one day the main compressor went down and they realised the site had grown beyond its capacity :)

The back sheds have a piston compressor thats beyond its best so they're keeping it until they decide I'd they're going to use it instead of the piston compressor or run an air line from the main building. Based on those prices I think I'll push them to run a line and offer to dispose of the old junk lol

Ditto all the malwauke comment, they're insanely strong ! Or a cheap n cheerful sealey if you're on a budget.

However, i still prefer my IR titanium air gun. Get a quieter compressor ;)

G

I had the latest Snap On 1/2 gun and it lasted 3 weeks before it burst in to smoke. Stay away.

I've now bought the latest Mac 1/2 gun, the BWP151P2. Breakaway torque of 1625nm (ideal for me as I work on HGV). Easily removes Truck wheel nuts.

It comes with 2 batteries and an awesome heavy duty water tight box.

I think mine cost around £530, which I could justify as I use it every day.

Toby

post-26793-0-86540500-1466271382_thumb.png