200 di in a series to tdi intercooler

Keep the 88o stat - it's much better for the engine and for the cab heater! Tdis should run a little warmer than the old 2.25 engines, so as long as you have matched sender and gauge, the needle should stabilise with its left edge on the top left corner of the "N", about two thirds of the way up the normal range sector.

I can't see a boost gauge being very useful except in the initial fitting, since you suspect the waste gate has been tampered with.

I hear what ye are saying, but it goes against my child hood experiences of poorly maintained equipment overheating, memories of being in tractors with the heater in in the summer to help keep the engine cool!

Don't like needles near/ in the red.

Even if it's just an instrumentation issue.

What instruments would you fit, above the standard? I've a gaping hole in the dash, suitable for three clocks. I'm going to fit oil temperature, time, and boost.

I know the boost is only necessary for set up, but I just like the idea of a boost gauge. Don't know why, it just tickles my fancy.

G.

I've got temp gauge (which is how I know what she's really running at and can speak from actual experience), oil pressure gauge and boost gauge - which as Nick rightly points out, I hardly ever look at! It does help though in that I've for some reason had a spate of hoses falling off, the gauge and turbo to FIP. No idea why, but it's made obvious by the lack of reading on the gauge. I have a rev counter also in a separate bin, not often I look at it though. Was installed when we were comparing various combinations of transmissions.

I have oil pressure, oil temperature and voltmeter. None of them are really of benefit and only serve to cause worry when you see a deviation from standard readings, usually a short term reaction to some external factor. Fair enough if you're using them to fill dash holes, but only the clock will be any use.