Desperate help needed. Headlights

Alright lads.

I am currently on a long trip to Malaysia and back in my defender 130Tdi and iam currently in Kyrgyzstan where everything was going well till the police stopped me as my headlights were not working. Checked the fuses everything okay,checked the bulbs everything okay,my guess is the light relay switch on the steering column what do you think. Bye the way the sidelights are working, fullbeam is working but not the halfbeam. Anybody got any ideas. Many Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Could be the light switch - but also the indicator switch as dipped beam goes through it.

Check the diagram for what colour does what - mine are custom wired so useless.

In the column you can check the multiplugs to see if there are any problems - and if the live feed is there..

Bon Courage !

Are the headlights running through relays? If not, try and sort that out because otherwise the full current goes through the switch and will eventually ruin it. Stupid design. Adding one relay for high beam and one for low beam is time-consuming but easy.

Also check every connector you can find for corrosion and check every earth you can find as well - the latter is notorious on these cars for becoming a little corroded and causing havoc. If you can get to the switch itself it's easy enough to check for current coming in and out with a light or multimeter.

I had a similar problem to that which Maverik has just described. Temporary cure involving bending contacts, a little mild cleaning of the contacts where it had been arcing and some Electrolube.

Many Thanks for all of your help. Decided to buy a new switch, 20 quid for a lucas one. However send Paddocks, Rimmer Bros, and Cradocks a email 2 days ago still no reply. Been intouch with Caspian motors in Almaty, they want 90 quid for a new switch the robbing buggers.

Anyway many thanks once again.

• 2 weeks later...

All right lads.

Very sorry for the late reply.Cant get internet everywhere. Managed to get everything sorted out.

Ordered a new light switch via Craddock's. It arrived in Bishkek within 20 hours brilliant service. Changed everything over within the hour and the job was a good en. We are now about 200 mile from the Russian border where we will be crossing over into the Altai region,supposed to be very nice. Anyway many thanks for all of your help very much appreciated.

Good luck to all.

Hi Steve.

Just crossed over the border today from Kazakhstan to Russia. We will be in Biysk in a few days. That is the beginning of the Altai. Will post some pics in the days to come. But the internet isn't 100%. If you ever get the chance do the Pamir highway do it for sure,it has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth and the people the most friendlist.

The usual cause for complete headlight failure is exactly what Mav and AMB report, and that is due to the switch oveheating from excess load. The head lights really need to be run from a relay with uprated wiring too, and doing this not only protects the switches but also allows the bulbs to run brighter as the feeds are not giving significant resistance.

looking forward to pic's and a little commentary on the area when you can , you are very lucky to be doing this trip . As snags , mav and AMB have said running the load through relays is worth the effort , particularly if you are running headlights on all the time as you have to in Russia (?) .

cheers

Steveb

I has the same on my 109, signbox - it was the contacts in the dim/dip switch melting into the plastic mounting. But I did also find the dash toggle main lighting switch (mostly metal on SII and SIII) got very warm running halogen bulbs. The relays and uprated wiring made all the difference and brightened the lights too.