Colway Mt Vs Greenway Macho

Mean Green

Hello all.

I need a set of tyres primarily for offroad use on my RRC, but I want them to be civilised on the road too if (when) I cant be bothered to change them back to the Road tyres.

So I had decided on Colway MT's but what about Greenway Machos?

The Size is likely to by 235/70/16 as the RR is on original set up.

any views on either?

Anyone tried both?

The main concern is on-road manners and road noise.

I ran Colway MT's on my Series 3. Always found them fine on the road, no moments etc. May have been a bit noisy, but with a S3 I couldn't tell :-)

Of course off road they seemed good, never seemed to lack for grip. Shame they don't do them in a decent size, 31" ish is the biggest.

Personally I would avoid colways on a rangie.

I have been trialling for quite a while now, (yes i know its slightly different and on-road doesnt matter) but for off road use, they run out of grip far too quickly. They are best suited to smaller, less powerfull vehicles; like series's and dare i say it, suzuki sj's where they run out of grip just before the vehicle runs out of grunt. whereas a rangie aint gona run outa grunt quickly, so you find yourself wheel spinning alot, and enevitably breaking things.

i know nothing of the greenway's so cant coment.

Personally, i think that track edges are v.good on rangies for a compromise of on/off road useage.

this is just my opinions and experiences on the subject

Well, I've got Colway MT's on my Disco (205r16).

On road they are noisy and don't feel as sure footed as road biased tyres (obviously).

However, off-road in the mud this weekend they were fabulous. Didn't get stuck even though the mud was very deep in places. A 90 with 255/75 BFG's managed to get stuck!

The most common mistake peeps make is width. You don't need wide tyres for mud, the narrower they are the better as they cut through the mud to the harder surface underneath. Wide tyres tend to float on the mud before they move it, this causes wheel-spin, loss of momentum and then you stop with all 4 wheels spinning.

Why don't you use 2 sets, have road ones for the holidays etc, then drop the MT's on for the more serious off-road excursions? I managed to pick up a set of Rangie alloys for £50 the MT's cost £155 from Craddocks.

I have had Trac Edges, Goodyear MTRs and now Macho's on my Rangie.

My comments are as follows:

Trac Edges - hard wearing, reasonably quiet on road, only average off road. No on road "moments" at all (even in several Montreal winters!)

Goodyear MTR - very quiet on road. So much as to be un noticeable over road bias tyres IMHO with no behavioural problems. Probably explains why they were so poor off road. Clogged easily in mud and seemed very prone to cutting up. Durawall sidewall technology wasn't up to much as I cut one of my sidewalls deeply in a pretty innocuous situation. I reckon they are more of an aggressive AT than a real MT.

Greenway Machos - Excellent off road - self clean brilliantly and keep on gripping (especially with lots of loud pedal to clean the tread! B) :lol: ) I followed 35" Simex all round Slindon and only really struggled in deep ruts. (I run 235 x 85 on the RR) On road they seem fine although as the Rangie is lifted without castor correction I tend to drive like a bit of a grannie these days to make sure I only use one lane at a time!! :o Not due to the tyres, it was the same with the MTR's. If you drive like you stole it then you may have some interesting moments, but I have done several long road trips in wet and dry with no problems at all.

IMHO for less than £50 a corner fitted, there is little out there to challenge it.

I'll chip in....

Personally I would go for the Machos. I went round all day with a chap who had them fitted and he coped extremely well over all the sections without any fuss.

I asked him about the road handling and again, he thought they were surprisingly quiet and sure footed.

If you going for a set of off-road only tyres, then go for chunky as possible. There is no point sacrificing off road ability for the sake of what is really going to be limited road use ( even if you can be bothered changing them immediately ). Even the most chunky of tyres can handle the road as long.

I'm going to disagree with imspanners in terms of width. For the bulk of the off roading around Greg and I, i think its more beneficial to go for float rather than height. A lot of stuff is marsh / moorland and digging down is the opposite of what you need in our cases.

Changing tyres only takes a few minutes. We did yours in no time....

Greg-Puncture.jpg

but hey, at least you were smiling...

Greg-Waving.jpg

Shame they don't do them in a decent size, 31" ish is the biggest.

/pedant mode on

You can get the Colway MTs in 265/75-R16 (32") now.

/pedant mode off

We've got Colway MTs on the D90 at the moment and they do fine job off-road. No real compliants at all -- they're obviously not as agressive as Grizzlies or Simex but they do a pretty good job nevertheless. I actually prefer them to the BFG MTs I had on another vehicle for a while as the Colway MTs have a more open tread. Only comment I'd make is that the sidewalls don't look too strong -- but at £45 a tyre for the bigger sizes you can bust three of 'em for the price of a single BFG.

Quite frankly don't give a monkey's how any tyre performs on the road with the D90 -- we didn't buy it for that :P:lol:

I'll chip in....

Personally I would go for the Machos. I went round all day with a chap who had them fitted and he coped extremely well over all the sections without any fuss.

I asked him about the road handling and again, he thought they were surprisingly quiet and sure footed.

If you going for a set of off-road only tyres, then go for chunky as possible. There is no point sacrificing off road ability for the sake of what is really going to be limited road use ( even if you can be bothered changing them immediately ). Even the most chunky of tyres can handle the road as long.

I'm going to disagree with imspanners in terms of width. For the bulk of the off roading around Greg and I, i think its more beneficial to go for float rather than height. A lot of stuff is marsh / moorland and digging down is the opposite of what you need in our cases.

Changing tyres only takes a few minutes. We did yours in no time....

Greg-Puncture.jpg

but hey, at least you were smiling...

Greg-Waving.jpg

Cheers Donald! Another copy of that photograph!!!! Taking pleasure in my misfortune are you!! :P :P

Interesting comments on the Machos. That might be the way to go.

If they are good on the road then I might just run them all the time, the road bias pirelli ST's that are on at the moment do not have a lot of life left in them.

I agree with the comments about Trac Edge, IMHO the best cross over tyre ever made! I have a set of 235/85 on the 90 and I think they great both on and off road - they have pulled me out of situations that I honestly thought would be too much for them. Even with best part of 30k miles on them they have loads of tread left. It is no wonder BFG stopped making them, peeps would never need to change tyres if they had Trac Edge!