Very poor service from supplier

Eightpot

I wouldn't normally post anything about a company or poor service, I'd rather complain direct until it gets dealt with, but I have to say that Island 4x4 have shown such a poor level of service I'm inclined to have a public moan.

After returning a faulty item four months ago, they still haven't refunded (or sent back either a replacement or my original item), offering a variety of unsuitable explanations why they haven't responded on the many occasions I've called or emailed - usually direct with the owner. I'm getting ignored now so I guess they just aint going to pay up.

Absolutely baffling why you would kick a long standing customer into touch who spends over £8k a year on parts - all over £55...

:angry2:

Well I rarely have a problem with receiving orders but never had a great experience if I have to speak with someone.

Going in person would cost more in fuel than I'd get back, but to be fair they've had thier chance - I don't like to have to ask an eleventh time!

No problem for me as I have a new supplier who is very pleased - an easy win for them.

Island are similar to Paddocks really. All fine if the order is ok, but an absolute PITA if you need to get hold of them.

I ordered a rad from them once for the 110, they took about three weeks to tell me it wasnt in stock and couldnt get one, then another six or so to refund! On the other side, i bought a genuine FPR from them for the D2 but the only sold britpart o rings. I asked if they could get me a genuine one and they added it FOC. So mixed experiences of them, but the length of time to refund has out me off.

LRDIRECT get my vote now - as long as you can use microcat, parts selection is easy and brand is normally easy to determine for most parts (not just supplier, but maker where known). Britcar is very similar and a good comapny to use too.

Lrdirect arent bad but my last order to them got me an oil seal from britpart that was a lose fit in the hole to it rotated not the shift rotating inside it.... I asked for OEM parts. And I also ordered a new clutch release bearing to go with my stumpy R380 due to a previous suppliers bearing lasting less than 12 months..... What I received was a standard bearing that wasn't what I asked for and I had quoted the correct part number.

Sadly no supplier is perfect.

In fairness I think most box-shifting suppliers in all areas operate the "fling sh** against a wall and hope most of it sticks" business model now - you have to be in order to be competitive in most fields of supply with the "pile it high sell it cheap" companies. Think whether you order stuff from Amazon or go to the local shop - 9/10 times the first option because it's cheaper, and you accept that you will have to suffer dealing with utter blithering morons if something isn't right.

As an exporter, I do find the "We don't have time to answer the phone / emails as we are far too busy" merchants incredibly irritating, but just change suppliers until i find one that doesn't behave like that.

Yes. The "We don't have time to answer the phone / emails as we are far too busy" companies are not what I like to work with.

I have a few suppliers and they know me, I know them. They are not always the cheapest but they get the stuff here, in time and reply to my comms.

In the end, one usu. get what one pays for.

• 2 weeks later...

I once ordered 3 brake hoses from Paddocks. They charged me for 300.

Quickly sorted though.

Once ordered a rear wiper motor cover from Matford Landrover in Exeter, when I went to pick it up the temp had a digit or two wrong and there was a brand spanking new TD5 engine. My offer to take for the price of the wiper motor cover was "graciously" declined....

I wouldn't normally post anything about a company or poor service, I'd rather complain direct until it gets dealt with, but I have to say that Island 4x4 have shown such a poor level of service I'm inclined to have a public moan.

After returning a faulty item four months ago, they still haven't refunded (or sent back either a replacement or my original item), offering a variety of unsuitable explanations why they haven't responded on the many occasions I've called or emailed - usually direct with the owner. I'm getting ignored now so I guess they just aint going to pay up.

Absolutely baffling why you would kick a long standing customer into touch who spends over £8k a year on parts - all over £55...

:angry2:

I unfortunately had this exact problem with them. I'm convinced they had my number blocked as I rang them on my own phone to no avail but got straight through with my work phone.

It took a strongly worded email quoting consumer rights jargon and a deadline to get back to me or there would be legal reprocussions. I got my refund eventually, but not for the oil cooler fittings that were stuck in the rad which had to be sent back (which cost a lot to replace)

I have said it before and I will say it again, I would happily use scorpion racing under old management than island4x4 again! Complete toilets!

• 2 weeks later...

How are you treated by the dealers and service departments in the UK? Ours vary a lot. There are some here no one wants to go to and others people swear by. Im just wondering how service is over there

Are you referring to LR main dealers, independents or parts suppliers?

Main dealers are extremely variable, if you turn up looking as though you have money they are all over you like a rash, many refuse to accept that you probably know more about the product than they do. Service charges are positively scandalous, if the workshop manager / supervisor is good and actually listens then half the battle is won. Warranty managers are generally good but I've encountered one or two who seemed to believe that the cost of rectification comes out of their salary. Main dealer parts departments are generally very good.

Independent vehicle and parts suppliers - again variable. You need to demonstrate that you have a grasp of the subject otherwise you may end up with substandard goods.