2.4 Puma Engine issues

Hi

Ive been a member of this forum for a while but not posted.

I have a 2.4 2007 defender double cab which is having some engine issues, I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

The engine has had 2 DPF (sorry EGR as pointed out below) valves in less than 12000 miles and it has gone again, is it possible to remove it?

Also the engine has developed a rattle under load, its done 60,000 miles and has always been service on time, is this a common fault, can anything be done, im worried its going to self destruct.

It also stopped running four times in half an hour last week each time it lost all its power and stalled, then restarted a few minutes later, nearly called the AA but it cleared itself and got me home.

Any advice would be great.

Mark

Hmm... 2 x in 12,000 miles is not standard.

What use has the vehicle ? Low gear plodding around, motorway hammering all the time ?

What did the computer say ?

I would presume you mean EGR valve. two in 12k is very excessive.

You can have the EGR system turned off via a remap. (Off and still does the self clean cycle - the chugga chugga noise when you turn the engine off)

Removing DPF in the exhaust is an MOT fail, however the DPF has a handy heat shield around it, so if you should decide to have the DPF removed, the MOT man can't actually see it because its hidden underneath the shield.

The ford fuel system IMHO is very very poor, they respond very well to a new fuel filter, but a serious pain in the backside to bleed the system up again.

Its has a bit of mixed use, everyday to and from work 15 mins but a lot of long runs, 300 miles of towing 2.5 tons is not unusual, It tows every week.

Im taking it in on Monday to get it plugged in so I will get the fault codes then.

Thanks

2.4's don't have a DPF, the later 2.2's do.

2.4 EGR troubles are not at all uncommon, as has been stated they can be disabled via a an ECU remap.

Rattles could be any number of things but it has been known for an injector, or injectors, to loosen causing worrying noises and potential running faults.

Early 2.4's were prone to failure due to an inherent engine oil jet fault that JLR were aware of but I imagine most of these would have either self destructed or been picked up by now. Symptoms were heavy knocking when cold.

BTW: Do check security of the battery terminals and make sure all the relays in the the drivers seat box are still seated correctly and are clear of corrosion on the terminals.

Thanks for all the advice,

Is it possible to find out if my engine has been modified in respect of the oil jet fault, was this something that was recalled and Land Rover would have a record of?

Thanks for all the advice, I will find out more tomorrow hopefully.

Mark

The official fix was for total engine replacement. The noise was a knock on startup and not a rattle and all engines in the range should have been sorted long ago. There's a service bulletin about it:

Land Rover Service Bulletin SSM38792, Date Uploaded: 21 Jul 2008 Models: LD - Defender Title: 2.4 Puma Engine Knock Noise. Last Modified: 21-JUL-2008 09:44 Category: Engine Symptom: 497000 Engine Noise Content Issue: Heavy audible knocking heard on start up. Cause: On start up oil pressures can cause the piston cooling jets, (PCJ), to latch into a zero flow condition. Due to hysteresis effect in design the jets do not unlatch until the engine is warm and the oil pressures lower again. During this time with no pressurized oil jet flow to the lower pistons / cylinder bores, overheat and scuff conditions / damage can occur. Action: Replace the engine assy but ensure only engines post serial # ELD00080707063602 are used. This condition will not occur on vehicles post assured Vin# 9A767162. Engines post the info above are fitted with modified PCJ internal springs and this issue is now closed.

Hi

Ive been a member of this forum for a while but not posted.

I have a 2.4 2007 defender double cab which is having some engine issues, I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

The engine has had 2 DPF (sorry EGR as pointed out below) valves in less than 12000 miles and it has gone again, is it possible to remove it?

Also the engine has developed a rattle under load, its done 60,000 miles and has always been service on time, is this a common fault, can anything be done, im worried its going to self destruct.

It also stopped running four times in half an hour last week each time it lost all its power and stalled, then restarted a few minutes later, nearly called the AA but it cleared itself and got me home.

Any advice would be great.

Mark

I had a colleague who had the stalling problem, which was eventually located to air in the fuel, which entered via the fuel filter housing. A new housing solved the problem.

Daan

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Early Puma clutch plate springs used to develop a rattle fairly quickly and in fact were the subject of a recall and upgrade replacement. I remember mine want back not long after I'd bought my 2007 new but that said would have thought virtually all would have had clutch replacements by now. My later Puma's didn't suffer the same issue.