Where to put the ECU?

quattro

There was no CD with the adaptor, just a link on the box (apparently). I really shouldn't throw boxes away before I have tried stuff. I spent two hours googling and found the right one - they now talk to each other, but I couldn't start the car with it plugged in yet :i-m_so_happy:

IMG_32891_zpsxvzzjxn8.jpg

Tunerstudio downloaded and paid for :)

I can't do any road tuning until I get an MOT, so have been tidying up the loom (does that take some time ? :wacko:), putting seats/carpets/other trim back in, etc,etc.

Now, I'm nearly ready to try and get started. Before I start, do I have to fill in the information in the basic settings, and other stuff? or do I somehow download them from the ECU? If I have to fill in these boxes, where does all of that info come from?

The 4 wire lambda in the kit, is it wide band or narrow band?

Do I need to check the timing to ensure the trigger wheel is exactly right?

The more I read up about the tuning, the more I get confused :huh:

Thanks lo-fi

Before I do anything that will cause any loss of any precious Lucas loom smoke, I just want to check this

Spark%20setting_zpshuldb2ho.jpg

From what I've read, you change the "Fixed angle" to '10' then change the "Trigger angle (Deg)" to around 65, then click "burn." if it's still running, check the timing is on 10 BTDC. If not, adjust "Trigger angle" until it is at 10 BTDC.

OR:-

as ECU was pre-configured, do I download something from the ECU which already has this info on it?

I have it plugged in to the ECU with the engine running BTW

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm actually unstoppable, but only if I can somehow get going :)

Richard

With Tunerstudio you essentially have a blank tune file until you connect to the ECU and then it will pull all the settings down from the controller. So the fact you have connected should mean that Tunerstudio now has a copy of the tune from your ECU.

For tuning timing I generally just set the bottom right corner of the spark map itself to be all "10" then see how far it out it is with the light. That's then your trim angle. I have never changed the trigger angle on mine I don't think, so can't tell you what value I have unfortunately! 

Edit- I meant bottom left!

Cheers Quagmire

It did look like it was downloading the info, just confused me when I clicked through all of the pages on tunerstudio to find that I had a 5.7L engine and the injectors flowed at 320. I have changed that bit, but don't really want to start tuning until I know all of the other parameters are set correctly - just being cautious I suppose.

fuel%20calc_zpse8sxqrom.jpg

Nige, I have emailed you with the engine spec as it came off the advert (When I bought the car) I have removed the bits that have now gone, dizzy, weber, etc

Rover P6B 

4 litre cross bolted V8 (3,950cc), 6,000 miles ago

Pair of stage 1 unleaded RPI engineering cylinder heads.

Piper RP4 high torque cam and followers.

New rocker shafts.

Steel rockers.

Cloyes duplex timing chain and sprockets.

New oil pump.

New water pump.

35% Lightened and balanced flywheel.

Magnecor 8mm plug leads.

J&P stainless exhaust manifolds with 13/4 primaries.

Custom 2 into 1 front section of exhaust, then straight through 54mm stainless exhaust .

LT77 5 speed gearbox.

Richard

I have managed to complete the underbonnet wiring, including tidying it all up and wrapping the loom. Just need to relocate the washer bottle, and hopefully get an MOT :)
130916%20engine%20bay%202_zpsvpuymwwf.jp

130916%20engine%20bay_zpsrv5rzhlz.jpg

Inside, I have to just finish the last three feet of the loom wrapping, then get it all tucked away and refit the front seat, so getting exciting now :)

Just waiting for the MSQ file, and I can get driving.

As usual when fitting/refitting stuff I have some bits left over. This bit came with the EDIS 8 module, anyone know what it is/does? Should I have fitted it?

IMG_3301_zpsxd9r7cmv.jpg

and these came in the kit, anyone know what they are? or where they should go?

No%20idea_zpsqclcrgp6.jpg

Cheers all

Richard

Looking tidy!

First little thing is a suppressor, if I remember rightly, these are/can be fitted to the central wire on the coil pack in an effort to keep electrical noise down and reduce ECU resets.

Personally I've not found them to make any difference whatsoever, but then my experience is always different to others :)

Last bits look like spacer bushes, maybe for mounting coil packs? Either way don't look too important! I've not used one of Nige's kits, so can't be 100% about them :)

On 9/11/2016 at 11:36 AM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

I can't rememebr if it was one of my ecus ? If so it will have a MSQ loaded. If not email me at megasquirt.v8@gmail.com specs of engine and I'll email you a MS1 MSQ to suit ?...

Nige

Any luck yet Nige, I have finished everything else and kinda want to drive it about.

Got it plugged in and it runs :)

I did get these error messages though when I downloaded the MSQ

errors_zpsjkkndzkx.jpg

Not quite sure where to find these in tunerstudio?

Got the tickover stabilised by finding the bins the tickover operates in and setting them all to 42, which was a bit on the rich side. Slowly edged them down to 35, and it ran at 13.5 to 14 AFR. Then set all of the spark bins where tickover runs to 10 and it ran smoothly at around 800rpm. I put the strobe on to check the timing and got 8, so not too far away. I take it that I set the fixed angle to 10, then adjust the trigger angle until the strobe reads 10? Ran out of time though, being a hot night it's difficult to run a V8 all night with everyone having their windows open, listening to it, and smelling the fumes :huh:

Interior is back in with the main loom running along the centre tunnel under the carpet. Seems well enough hidden to me.

IMG_4471_zpskh90w878.jpg

May have to tidy a few things, but this is finished for now. Just have an annoying radiator leak somewhere which I can't track down, and I really don't like the way the throttle cable sits there.

finito_zpsf4ttc6vx.jpg

Just need an MOT now 

Cheers Nigel

When it came up with the two errors, I tried Megatune and that came up with 22 errors, so I used tunerstudio instead. Do I have to enter the data for those two errors manually? and if so, where do I enter them? I cannot find nay reference to mae or tae rates?

Edit - Been googling and found that others have had the same problem, although reading about it, it isn't actually a problem at all  :D 

"1) msq errors:
Warning: MSQ Units Mismatch for maeRates4! kPa/s found in current configuration, ms found in MSQ, values were not converted to new units.
Warning: MSQ Units Mismatch for taeRates4! Volt/s found in current configuration, ms found in MSQ, values were not converted to new units.

You can ignore these...
These are because i fixed a problem in the ini file for MS1-Extra. The normal MSnS-extra in has units of ms assigned to maeRates4 and taeRates4, so if you saved the msq while using the incorrect ini you will get a warning message because the units in the ini doesn't match the units in the msq. If you save with the fixed ini, the same thing will happen. I guess no one really cared that those units were in correct as Megatune doesn't display them anywhere, but TunerStudio displays them in the Accel wizard, so units of ms look sort of silly."

Richard

On 18/09/2016 at 7:56 AM, Chazza said:

Try some stop-leak in the cooling system,

Nooooooo! Fix the leak, don't fill it with gunk!

The fixed angle in the spark settings does NOT include correction factor: what I do is save the settings, then set the whole ignition map to the same value (say 10deg) and adjust the trim value until the timing light matches the number on the screen. Then you can re-load the settings to restore the map, and enter the trim value you got.