Where to put the ECU?

quattro

I am jealous :mellow:. I have to be careful getting close to any quattros at car shows as I tend to drool on them and it upsets the owners :blush:

The only other classic vehicle that I remember yearning for as a youth, was the Kawasaki Z1. And I did actually manage to get hold of one a couple of years ago, or rather something very close.

It looked like this,

Z900sm_zps7c6c9b52.jpg

But when I had finished with it,

IMG_33151_zpskpozehse.jpg

I might try to megasquirt it if I ever get the hang of the system on the Rover. (Trying to bring the thread back to Megasquirt to avoid it being deleted :))

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was a week that was :wacko:

Drove to work Tuesday morning, stopped for fuel, everything going well. Two miles down the road, car stops with just enough electrical power to run the radio. Great fun pushing it off the inside lane of a roundabout in the rush hour.

lorry%20trip_zpstgrg8nin.jpg

The battery had failed, totally and instantly. Never heard of that happening before, and the first ever time that my P6 has let me down :(

Although tuning is going fairly well, I have to admit taking it to a rolling road and getting some help with it (am I still allowed on here now ? ) It's still not perfect, and seems to judder along when cruising, but it does pull like a train under acceleration :). BHP is apparently 210.9 at the flywheel, with 247 lb/ft of torque, so not too bad.

img002_zpsfrpwonuc.jpg

Just need to get the juddering sorted, then work out how to get the tacho to work.

Richard

10 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Shame about the battery. dyno plot looks decent though.

You got a data-log of the juddering happening?

I'm going to get out tomorrow and do some data logging, will try to get the juddering on it. What's the best length of time for a log?

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't get any data logging last weekend as when I went into the garage, I could smell petrol, so that took most of the week and now I still think I can smell it, but am not sure. Too long sniffing for it :blink: now I just think I can smell it, or ..... :wacko:

I have been playing with the timing, have noticed that it ticks over better with 9 degrees of advance. So it's now running with a block of 9 degrees all around the tick over bins.

It's actually running quite well, certainly better than when I was running the weber, but is does still have the shuddering. It does seem to be between cruise and overrun, and causes most problems when cruising along slightly downhill, as if it's having problems changing from cruise to overrun.

I have attached a datalog :) any ideas?

Cheers, Richard

2016-10-24_20.09.52.msl

Been doing some tuning and some miles and with a bit of tweaking here and there, the juddering seems to have gone :)

Popped into the garage and filled up again and have just worked out the mpg for the last two weeks - 18.4 :eek::confused::blink:

Not too disappointed though as that does include driving regularly from tickover up to the redline, sitting in the garage playing with tickover settings, data logging acceleration and deceleration profiles, driving without overun settings, sitting in rush hour traffic driving to work, and generally driving in the most uneconomical ways possible. Let's hope the next few weeks will be better :)

I must say though that the MS seems to have brought together all of the tuning goodies that Sparky came with, (Stage one heads, RP4 cam, tubular headers, lightened flywheel, etc) and runs well with them, unlike the weber which never really worked 100%. He did go very well, but nothing like now; the Megasquirt has really unleashed his full potential.

(or has it - it might get better :))

So, very pleased with the transformation, but what a job.

Richard

• 6 months later...

Just to finish this off :)

Have sent the ECUo ff to get a tacho pin fitted, and bought a tachfix, but still not working fully. I'll get it one day. no doubt.

I did nip it out to John Sleath who apparently knows MS well, as well as 4 barrel webers. He had a little play on the rolling road, but couldn't really improve it much, so very happy with what I managed. I did get what should be a final power run, and I am very happy with that, especially that torque curve. :)

Many thanks for all the help, what a job that was :blink:

Scan_20170502.jpg

• Like 1

That looks very much better! I bet you are pretty pleased with that, basically 220BHP and 260lb/ft from a 4.0 is very respectable, especially as you've gone fairly mild on the tuning :) I'm assuming that is flywheel, rather than wheel?

I suspect the drop off above 4200 is now the intake/plenum, assuming you have a decent exhaust fitted :)

Oh, and thank you for coming back and posting final results, always good to hear of projects finished :)