Problem 110 rear hubs and brakes

Sorry if this post isn't in the right place but I'm a new to this game.

I have a problem that is causing me more than a little confusion and I'm hoping that you kind people will be able to assist by either telling me I'm worrying about nothing or suggesting what I should do to fix it.

I'm having a little trouble sorting out the rear hubs on my 1986 110 pickup, the brake back plate has the oil drain hole but there is no oil catcher fitted and the stub axle doesn't have the milled slot which should be there according to the workshop manual. Taken all round the hubs look to be off a 90 rather than a 110.

I'm not sure if the lack of the oil catcher matters that much apart from losing some extra support for the brake back plate although, if present, a catcher may have significant reduced the oil in one of the brake drums which was due in part to an incorrectly positioned inner oil seal coupled with badly adjusted wheel bearings.

I don't know if any of the following is significant but to complete the story the 110 has a Salisbury back axle (the only identification I can find on that is C08HA-004-027 which is cast in to the diff housing) and it's best described as a "bitsa" as in bits off this and bits off that so although it's 1986 registration the VIN plate doesn't agree with that date and other details don't agree with either the registration or the VIN.

Hi,

Thanks for the response to my query and I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

It seems that there is a significant disparity between the parts manuals and the workshop manual to the extent that I'm begining to think that far from being a bible the workshop manual can only be described as a guide. The further I'm going with this job the more errors I'm coming across - either that or it's written in a version of english that is new to me!

Thanks again for the info.

rear drum brakes for a 90 are different to 110 rear drums.

page 509 = 110 rear drum brakes http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/6_vehicle_controls_brakes_fuel_air_p472-579.pdf

page 598 = 90 rear drum brakes http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/90/7_brakes_fuel_air_exhaust_cool_heat_p581-718.pdf

note the lower shoe attachments are different, items 13 & 14, not fitted to 110,