Freelander 2 Auto box problems

Ashwellstreet

I have Freelander 2 registered March 2011 with 47,000 miles on the clock, regularly serviced by the LR main agent. Last summer it started to display periodic problems with the auto change from 1st to 2nd and occasionally 2nd to 3rd when the engine was running hot. I asked LR to check it out but could find no problem. The problem then appeared to go away over Winter but now that t he weather has improved it has reoccurred, most recently on a long trip to France. The gear change seems to slip when engaging between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd, very similarly to a slipping clutch on a manual box, causing the car to lurch forward a bit when the gears engage. It only occurs between the lower gears, it operates perfectly in higher gears and when changing down. It's been checked out again recently by LR who could find no problems. Can't understand why it only seems to occur in warmer weather. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

Have you checked/changed the fluid? Normally the first port of call with auto boxes, if the old fluid comes out disgusting then your box is likely to implode soon, but you may get a few more miles out of it.

• 1 month later...

As this is a Freelander 2 you would be better off registering on www.freel2.com .  There is a known hesitation problem with 2011 facelift models with the reduced emissions.  A number of people have seen hesitation during the summer which goes away in the winter.  There are a couple of things that can be done to help like getting the latest software and doing a recalibration of the airflow system but fundamentally LR don't know how to fix it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I wonder if 'Dr Tranny';) might be worth a go!

This is recommended for RRS / D3 Gearboxes which start to misbehave at about 100k miles - and it does wonders!

The symptoms sound similar - generally when the gear oil gets hot, the clutches slip - sometimes making a juddering sound.  The ECU detects a mismatch between the engine & road spead then shows "Drive Fault" and goes into limp mode.

I've used this on each oil change - and the problem has vanished.  Now 68k miles on from the first treatment.