Defender - Rear Speaker recommendation (bodge content!)

Hi

I thought I'd share this as there's quite a few historic threads asking about how to make a defender's radio sound better...

I took a punt on a set of these:

EDGE_Mini_02-800x450.jpg

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/tibo/edge-mini/tibo-edge-mini

Tibo Edge Mini speakers at £19.95.

I know they are meant for use in a house, but at £20 I didn't think I could go wrong (and the impedance is 4Ohm the same as most car speakers)... They fit almost perfectly under the second row seats - on their sides you have to tip the seats forwards to get them underneath the seat frame. I bodgetastically mounted them via cable tie to the seat frame to stop them sliding round.

Sound wise they are a massive, massive improvement over just having my £20 pioneer speakers that are in the standard dash locations. There's now real bass thump, and you can still hear music over 50mph! It sounds a lot lot better than it did, probably better than most factory car setups!

I still have some playing to do with the bass ports - at the moment they are firing straight at the rear seat bracket, so the bass can be a bit boomy - I tried blocking the bass port which has helped, but I may try turning the speakers round (so woofers in the middle of the car) so the bass port is firing into free air at some point...

I may also get some metal grilles to cover the delicate speaker cones - they are pretty tucked out of the way under the seats, but they might get poked with something by mistake...

That's brilliant...and rather familiar ☺

Back in my youth, when I had an 88" and little money, I acquired a huge set of Wharfedale domestic speakers in beautiful wooden boxes.

They were bungee strapped into the rear corners of the tub and gave pretty good sound given the environment.I'm sure they'd have sounded much better if run from an amp. However youthful ignorance and lack of funds prevailed.

• Like 1

Err I can't remember the last time I turned my wireless on. I am fortunate though, I have a V8 to provide me with a whole symphony, from the gurgling sounds in the petrol tank (think draining bath plughole type noises) to the leaking exhaust that has resisted all attempts to seal it over the last 6 years and the delightful whooshy V8 type noises

Err I can't remember the last time I turned my wireless on. I am fortunate though, I have a V8 to provide me with a whole symphony, from the gurgling sounds in the petrol tank (think draining bath plughole type noises) to the leaking exhaust that has resisted all attempts to seal it over the last 6 years and the delightful whooshy V8 type noises

Wireless :rofl: Showing your age there Neil.

Totally with you on the V8 sound track though :D

what I use in my defender with music in is some ear defenders, put them on and you can hear a lot more of the music than before..... try it.

in fact ear defenders should be standard equipment in any defender...... :hysterical:

Sorry could not resist.

I have a 95 110 ex MOD FFR 'SoftTop' and with 3 daughters (of course I bought it as a family car !) they love the summer (when we get it) roof off driving but complained about the lack of 'Disco' facilities in the vehicle.

As a Mad Landy owner/professional IT nerd I had the below setup (Logitech Z906) in my office meeting room that was going spare.

Well with a power Inverter and Bluetooth receiver - bolted two speakers in the front under dash - two in the rear corners - fit perfect and the base bungeed on the floor in rear needless to say the kids are a little happier now.

Happier to the point that it is now like a mobile disco - they can play DJ with their phones via BlueTooth and I can happily sit driving wearing ear defenders and dark glasses.

At '8' it takes the smile off most of the 'Polished Capacitor - Base Cannon' posse - must take the kids for a hearing test at some point!

Just wanted to share - and get that mod off my chest ;)

ps Should tell the insurance company - as this probably doubles the value of the vehicle ;)

z906-gallery.png