fuel tank move

Tal

I thought about moving the fuel tank in a transit van some years ago to improve fuel delivery and reduce airlock and other delivery problems associated with lifting fuel to the top of the engine and also move it up safely away from any possible puncture risk.

I never actually got around to finding out if it is road legal to do so or to actually doing it .

So if anyone knows if it is road legal where do you think it could be moved to on a disco 1. I wouldn't want to put it on the roof or anything daft, just up level with the top of the engine.

might be an idea for off road

What do you think people?

Tal

• Like 1

Personally, I think there's no reason it shouldn't work perfectly where it is. If you're worried about damage, a tank guard is an easy answer (even relatively thin/light material would suffice for most people's use).

Putting it inside the vehicle is usually a no-go due to fumes / leaks / fire risk, the general wisdom is you want a firewall between passengers & things like that.

Weight lower down is better too.

The tank shouldn't need to be moved from a factory position, unless you are doing rally stages and need a smaller fireproof foam filled tank etc.

On the transit di the accepted mod for airlocking injector prob was to run the injector spill return from the other end of the rail back to the filter.

thanks for the replys people.

The transit I had was a 190 2.5 tdi, the engine was amazing but it discharged the battery and often overheated the starter motor when I had to do anything with the fuel system, in the end I figured if I could install a fuel tank at a more engine friendly height it would be better on parts in the long run...as it happens the chassis fell to pieces and we parted company but I've had similar problems with my discos so I thought it might be an option, especially as I am converting my 200tdi at the moment and the tank wouldnt need to be anywhere inside. I was thinking of a stainless steel type affair up behind the cab but I can see the point behind not moving it.

Most peoples fix for older discos seems to be to fit an electric fuel pump.

Not the solution for you but down here we have companies that make extra tanks that fit under the floor between the chassis and sill, usually capacity is 40-45litres which gives and excellent touring range on a TDI or provides normal capacity for a V8 fitted with LPG tanks in place the original fuel tank.

I had this setup in 2 different RRC's ,81 and 85, and gave me a range of about 1000klms combined.

So i could drive Melbourne to Sydney or Melbourne to Adelaide without stopping and still have fuel for running around.