Range Rover Classic 3.9 auto Y piece exhaust cat section

duncmc

Ok, here is my dilema....

I am in need of a new Y section for the exhaust on my 3.9 auto. The car has catalysts, and they are rattling badly because they are loose. I could just remove the inards, but then come next MOT time it probably would fail on emissions.

A new part is ESR3059.

This new ESR 3059 is only available from LR at £3260!!!! according to the Rimmer Bros site.

There is ESR3063P which is for the manual 3.9 and is availble in stainless. Or a mild steel ESR 3060P for the 4.2 V8.

Do I punt for the ESR3063P which might not fit in stainless, or go for the possibly wider bore ESR3060P which should fit but is 20% more and only mild steel?

Rimmer Bros advice is risk the ESR3063P, but if I modify it they won't accept it back.....

What do you guys think I should do?

I learnt to weld because a similar price tag to fix a transit a few years ago. mild steel tubing of the right size can't be all that expensive and a cheap mig welder would cost only £150 or so....presuming you don't weld already that is. You might even be able to weld that up from flat sheet steel if you're feeling a bit brave

edit just looked one up ......scratch the mostly daft comment about fabricating one but you could maybe fix it for now depending on whats wrong with it

and is this it? https://britishparts.co.uk/products/7902-catalytic-converter-ESR3059

What age is the RRC again? I'd check the regs, as with my Audi for example, it was fitted with a cat but it is old enough to pass without, and has done for many years.

It was built in November 1993, and first registered January 1994.

So as I understand it, from August 1992 cars had cats fitted from new due to tighter emission regs. So, without fitting LPG or something like that it would fail on emissions after August 1992. From what I can gather there are some loopholes, such as if the engine was made before Aug 1992, but my engine is a 1994 engine anyway.

I learnt to weld because a similar price tag to fix a transit a few years ago. mild steel tubing of the right size can't be all that expensive and a cheap mig welder would cost only £150 or so....presuming you don't weld already that is. You might even be able to weld that up from flat sheet steel if you're feeling a bit brave

edit just looked one up ......scratch the mostly daft comment about fabricating one but you could maybe fix it for now depending on whats wrong with it

and is this it? https://britishparts.co.uk/products/7902-catalytic-converter-ESR3059

I have a MIG and can weld. But I would want to be able to TIG to do a neat job on an exhaust.

Oh, and yes, that looks like the part. I am guessing that the internal ribs that hold the cat part in place have rusted through. I think my first plan is to take the Y piece off, and cut the cats open to see what is going on. Then go from there.

For that money couldn't you get a custom exhaust place to make something up ? Or is it being a standard part important to the build ?

Not sure how much a new Y piece with new Cats would cost custom. I certainly will not be buying the genuine correct part!

We have the stainless rimmer brothers part on the 4.6 Overfinch, fitted fine :)

I keep thinking about pulling the cats off my 1993 but I think it would fail the visual test come MOT time :(

Cheers Pete. I will get one ordered now I'm back home.

Could you not just put a couple of self tappers in through the cats to keep them still in their houses? Two Tek-screws into each block with a little exhaust paste under the screw heads should work.

Could you not just put a couple of self tappers in through the cats to keep them still in their houses? Two Tek-screws into each block with a little exhaust paste under the screw heads should work.

I had thought about this sort of thing. but how long would it last......and then I would be back to changing the cats anway. Plus, will look better when I sell it.