P38 auto gear selector gone lu la!

pep73

Evening lads and lasses as title says my selector has gone mad. Recently whilst shifting from D to R gear box fault would show on my fault reader, putting the selector to D at this point would result in the vehicle being stuck in 3rd gear, however simply knocking her off and restarting from P would reset all and it might not happen again for days. As mentioned earlier it's now doing all sorts. Showing me on the selector it's in R when it's actually in 2nd. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Take a good look at the XYZ switch. The expected values are in the RAVE, so you can see if that's happening at the pins.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm not that well up as I should be. Where would I find the XYZ switch???

IIRC it's on the side of the gearbox, but check the RAVE for specifics (download link can be found in a sticky in the tech archive).

Thanks a million elbekko I've been surfing about and will get to have a look under her today.

The XYZ switch is on the side of the gearbox where the shift cable goes in (nearside). It tells the gearbox ECU which gear you've selected so faults in the switch can lead to some interesting behaviour ! Replacements aren't cheap but it's worth contacting Ashcrofts - when I need a replacement for mine I was fortunate that they had a good second hand one available.

They are a bit of a pain to adjust, it takes two people (one underneath to adjust to and one in the cab to move the lever) and a lot of patience to get it just right !

• Like 1

The XYZ switch is on the side of the gearbox where the shift cable goes in (nearside). It tells the gearbox ECU which gear you've selected so faults in the switch can lead to some interesting behaviour ! Replacements aren't cheap but it's worth contacting Ashcrofts - when I need a replacement for mine I was fortunate that they had a good second hand one available.

They are a bit of a pain to adjust, it takes two people (one underneath to adjust to and one in the cab to move the lever) and a lot of patience to get it just right !

Thanks dave a nice easy fix this time round.