Tell me about Norway & Sweden

Ben - you could sit on the spare wheel or cling to the roof rack :ph34r:

Does anyone know if it's vital to book camp sites? We're hoping to get away with taking it easy & just turning up at camp sites as & when we need one, but if they're likely to be full we'll obviously have to book in advance and keep to the schedule a bit more.

Rough plan is 50/50: 1 day wild camping, 1 day in a camp site or some sort of accommodation with a civilised WC & shower. That way we save a bit on accommodation costs without having to smell too bad ;)

Just Done 5700km in 11 days in my Bobtail pickup. Made a rear rollbar, and fitted my roof-tent at the top.

Mileage was about 8-10 litres pr 100km with the "new" 300tdi, 255/85R16 BFG with Discovery gearbox.

Started her at home in Grimstad, south in Norway, visited some friends in Elverum, then meet with a friend with charging trouble in Trondheim, and stayed one night 100 metres of the road at Namsskogan, in Troendelag.

Visited some family in Bodoe, before we headed to Bardu where the annual Land Rover Gathering took place from 20-24. of July.

Took a "short" trip on Tuesday up to Nordkapp, were we met/ Todd/tuko on his way south. Slept a couple of hours and had beatiful midnight sun at Nordkapp at around 00:45.

Went back to Bardu on Wednesday.

On Thursday we went on a trip to Senja, which is said to be a Norway in miniature, with fjords, "mountains", woods, waterfalls etc.

Friday was a slow day, with meetings, Todd/tuko arrived, and we had a chat.

Saturday we headed back home, went by Saltstraumen, just south of Bodoe, before we headed back to the "main road", E6.

Slept by the road near Mo I Rana, before visiting some family in Troendelag. Monday we drove by Hjerkin/Dovre and down to Alta, and stayed overnight at Rena, were there was a Offroad event. Sadly we had to leave early on Tuesday to get home, because of some family matters.

The main goal for us was the LRC event at Bardu, second goal was Nordkapp.

We should off course used a lot more time, and should have taken the outer road from Bodoe and down to Steinkjer in Troendelag, with 5-6 ferries, but our time table did not allow it.

Take a look at www.northernnorway.com, there is a lot of tips.

Not sure if taking the route through Norway or Sweden is best, the roads may be better in Sweden, but maybe more eventful in Norway. Also, when driving through Norway at normal speed 80-100 km/h, our mileage was 8-9 litres pr 100km. When we did 110 km/h the mileage increased up to 10-11 litres pr 100km. And people say that in Sweden you drive through the woods, with nothing but trees to look at.

But if you already are in eastern Sweden, I guess the swedish route will be faster/shorter.

Tips #1: There is a lot of toll roads in Norway, I think they will collect the money even in the UK. Take a look at autopass

Tips #2: although not as big a community as in UK, there is a big community in Norway as wel, with people from Sweden and Denmark also on the lrforum.com If you get in trouble, there are people who can help.

One thing I learned about English speakers in Sweden...

After a lifetime of sheepishly and apologetically asking if people speak english when travelling anywhere further afield than France, I was confused by a Swedish lady seeming to take offence that i'd even asked the question - as though it was obvious that she would speak English. When telling this to the Norwegians i was travelling with, they told me that English was so widely spoken that to ask whether someone spoke it was to imply that they were ignorant or stupid.

This was in a largish city so as someone said above, will be different in the countryside. Changed my perspective a bit though.

Beautiful countries both

I work for a Swedish company and have been over there on family trips (usually to Finland)

It's not cheap but if you shop/pack carefully its not too bad

Camping is so easy - anywhere as long as its over 500m from the nearest dwelling

Mossies' can be trained to bring down small game - 100% Deet is essential - as is keeping your body heat down and not wearing perfume

I would also say there as many Silver Birch as Spruce (not many Pine). The Swedish Off Road Tour is a hoot and worth joining if you can