Crank pulley on solid help

Just back from the Ironmongers..... Crank wouldn't stop turning even though in gear. Crank holder now in place with new bolts.

Here goes ......

Some types of loctite are actually a very powerful adhesive and are strong enough to negate the need for the bolt if used properly. The crank pully would definitely come loose if the bolt was missing for any lemgth of time. A blowtorch will have to be fixed in place for so long that the damper will be damaged before the heat will soak in far enough to have any effect. If the crank nose had been damaged in the past, then it's common practice to use Loctite or similar (real steel, epoxy, etc). I've done this myself and it does work very well, but removal of the pulley in the future is murder. Heat will soften the adhesive, and that is what you need to exploit. Put the puller on and tighten it as much as you can, then apply heat. After a while try to tighten the puller, and if you can then keep on going and it'll eventually come off. I can't see how you could cut it off as you would wreck the timing case at the same time.

Les

With your last setup can you get to the bottom of the pulley from the underneath? Perhaps have the puller done up as tight as you can and get underneath and encourage it with a hammer, hammer and bit of wood (less damage to anything hopefully) or some such item. Gently to begin with, a couple of taps then turn it a bit then gently tap then turn it a little bit. Or tap it then turn it 180 degrees and then tap it then turn it 180 degrees and so on. Also whilst it's under stress From the puller use a blow torch with the heat idea as mentioned a few times. I think your at that point now.

Angle grinding it as mentioned earlier, down to the crankshaft a thus splitting it to release the tension???? Did this with a rear brake drum/wheel bearing once. I assume from your earlier post you have a spare pulley from your mates donor engine?

Fingers crossed for your release!!!!

Hi Les, I was writing my last post then got a call on the landline. Came back the post, finished and posted. Then I see you were there with your reply!!!! I think we all pretty much agree that heat is the enemy of such stuck items.

To get the heat where it's needed you'll need to get the pulley section off the damper so it looks like this post-8621-0-82696000-1469380746_thumb.jpg

Then you can concentrate the heat on the front of the damper boss, here

post-8621-0-43376100-1469380569_thumb.jpg

If it's on with Loctite it will smoke when the bond breaks, have the puller on and keep tightening.

Right backs aching, hands sore, arms jelly..... Whining over.

It must be on there solid with what Les and others are saying. I het it up a fair bit with the blow torch. Had the pulley on it. Then other ideas so took it off and on most of the day.

Ok here's some thoughts/questions...

1). Will that much heat damage the crank shaft or engine in any way?

2). Would you separate the pulleys from the damper in the same way one at a time and will they get damaged?

3). Give me a minute and I'll think of somit

Took me a minute but managed to update my settings to show.

To be fair, my mate has done this 4 times already and knows a fair bit, hence why it's sitting in his driveway and not mine.

If anyone is close by and has more experience feel free to contact me.

For now it's back to teaching learners the rest of the week.

Daft idea but I can sense desperation ! With the remaining two tapped holes, is there enough room to screw in two threaded bars, with tubes on and held captive by nuts to make two sliding hammers?
Puller, heat, then hammer..

Paddy it's just frustration, not came across this ever !

Les, would you go for all pulleys and damper together or separate pulleys one by one?

Use all 4 M8 bolts for max tensile strength if you can , I'm going to remind you about fast chilling with a hose pipe after heating , if you can scrap the damper heat the hub around the crank then chill , as hot as you can get it with a plumbers blowtorch and have the hose running before putting the puller on it

cheers

Steveb

Thanks Steve,

So heat as hot as possible, then cool, then put puller on ?

Many thanks for every single comment so far..... I am taking it all in.

Slumberland calls for now

No, we had to try get a decent puller set yesterday. That didn't do but will come in handy for future jobs I'm sure.

We were thinking of making up our own hydraulic puller with the use of a bottle Jack and long M8 threads into the four tapped holes into the damper.

I've no time today but the mate is off, he's going to try today get the pulleys off one by one.

Update....

The mate was fabricating a makeshift puller then went to weld it and the welder isn't working today (must be a Monday thing)

Does anyone know of where best to source a replacement damper and twin pulley preferably spares? as the funds are low I can't afford brand new at the minute.

We're a tad worried to try separate them one by one and damage them. (If they'll ever actually come off)