Jellyfish in my sedimenter.

Just completed my annual service and found my sedimenter half full of jelly, mostly black. It sinks in diesel so presumably water based and black through bacteria. No real help via google other than it does exist. Anyone any recommendations on a bug killer that's available through motor factors.

I will be draining and flushing the tank when the level is lower.

The biocide will kill any bugs , these will form into a jelly at the bottom of the system. the fuelset will stop them coming back. i drained my tank and flushed it with some sacrificial diesel , then drained again. i then put some bioside in a spray canister and sprayed the inside of the tank, a bit fiddly but doable. i cranked then engine over to get it to come through the priming pump and into a container. once that section was clear i fitted a new filter and cranked again with the injector pipes going to the floor. when i was sure that the lines were clear i refitted the injector pipes, removed the fuel return to the tank and then cranked again. the system was then flushed through. you may need to do this again. i took a sample from the tank and put it in a clear jar with some biocide in. within mins the carp died and you could see it fall to the bottom. it does look like jelly as youve said. once i was certain the system was clear i refilled the tank to about a 1/4 then added the fuel set. run the engine up until it got to temp. i've been putting a dash of fuelset in the tank if i know the truck wont be used for a time.

IMG 1309

this is what i had. you can clearly see the jelly like bacteria. the samples were from my tank, fresh diesel and from the original source of the contamination, in my case a fuel can. i would suggest to clean out any fuel cans you have too. i swilled some biocide and diesel in mine, then rinsed.

Thanks, that’s great info Stephen. Its always good to get someone’s first hand experience of a product. Maybe I’ve caught mine just in time as its only the sedimenter that’s contaminated and not ( visually) got through to the filter. I’ll follow the same procedure with tank washing. I haven’t used any cans so I wonder if the bugs came from my local filling station but it would be hard to pin it down. I may just mention it to them and give them a miss for a while.

• Like 1

Very interesting, I've got a sedimenter on mine. Another thing to look at and replace.

Question though gazzar, when you say Jeyes fluid, just add to tank. Do you mean pour direct into diesel tank on normal running day to day?

Nature's response to diluting the devil's fuel with veg oil!

I just put a dribble of jeyes in the tank when I refill.

And always fill to the brim.

And try burn through a tank a month.