That dam Towing restriction again this sound right ?

Ok folks

Narrow track Sankey manual says kerb weight of 357 kilo (Narrow track) Its called a 3/4 ton sankey is that old ton or metric ton ok lets educated guess at metric......Does the 750kilo include the weight of the trailer with the load ? or weight it can carry on top of the trailers own weight ?

OK from my other posting My 1990 110 County TD has a kerb weight of 1906 Kilo ( I will weigh bridge it tho) and can carry 1144 kilo

Meaning a combined unloaded weight of 2263 Kilo

OK the law says

"If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) license, you can drive either:

a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)
a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)"

Ok 3500 K - 2263 K = ....1237 Kilo

so presuming the Sankey can carry 750 Kilo on top of its weight making 1107 Kilo meaning 130 kilo in the landy (people rubbish etc)

Or if the sankey loaded up weight is a max 750 Kilo (2656 kilo with loaded trailer empty landy) then the Landy can carry on top 844 Killo .....

Going by the SECOND 3500 Kilo combined weight and for trailers over 750 Kilo and even more going by the first combined weight of 4250 kilo if the sankey loaded up weight is 750kilo max with trailer weight as it says trailers UP TO 750 kilo then the landy would be able to carry 1594 Kilo making the total loaded weight 4250 kilo

Of course the kerb weight is plus people, roof rack and all the other things we bolt on so trailer and landy would need a weigh bridge to see the real weight as thus what can be carried in both

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT or is my maths way off ??????

Thank you 2500 Kilo ??? you mean combined 3500 Kilo

I only really tow to go camping so just working out weather its worth doing the trailer licence or weather I'm well in the weight limit and ok as I am and just how much I can carry in the trailer weight wise and be legal

so 3500 Kilo max loaded up kitchen sink and all.....That the Mrs walking then lol

Here we go, from the horses mouth:

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
If you passed your car driving test (category B) from 19 January 2013, you can tow:

• small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
  • a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing car or van is no more than 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) maximum authorised mass (MAM)

MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test between 1 January 1997 and 18 January 2013, you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences held before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

So yes, it is based entirely on MAM again.

What's the MAM of a 110 county TD?

Take this from 3500Kg, and this is the limit you can tow, based on MAM of the trailer.

OK, so 2950Kg Gross or MAM weight, under the second option, you can only tow 550Kg MAM trailer.

Under the first option this allows you to tow up to a 750Kg MAM trailer.

So yes, you need to do the test.

The two 'second options' wording, whilst different, actually appear to mean the same thing, unless I am going completely mad?

GUTTED lol ..........How is any one supposed to understand what's what ..... stay legal when they keep changing it if you looked when it was the original wording you would think you were legal and could be driving around illegal and not realise

So basicly I've been driving around illegal for over 10 years lol Wales Scotland you name it trips to the dump

OK, so 2950Kg Gross or MAM weight, under the second option, you can only tow 550Kg MAM trailer.

Under the first option this allows you to tow up to a 750Kg MAM trailer.

So yes, you need to do the test.

The two 'second options' wording, whilst different, actually appear to mean the same thing, unless I am going completely mad?

Yeah thats the wording that they changed. When the 2013 change came in it was the weight 'on the day' rather than MAM. Which meant you could tow something like an unladen 3500KG ifor empty.... but now it means you can't!

They certainly don't make it easy to interpret the rules when they change it as you say by changing it there will be people running around breaking the law without realising it.

I did the test with only 1/2 day training. The manouvering the trailer is the easy bit, you have to do 1hr accompanied drive with examiner, like taking driving test again but with trailer attached ie constantly checking mirrors the whole time, two hand feeding steering wheel etc.

They let me do it in my own 90csw, most places use freelander1.

Very interesting. i passed my test in 1980 so should be able to do what i like. my son passed his test in 2008. so he should be able to drive a 3.5 tonne with a 750 trailer or a heavier trailer with a lighter vehicle providing the total weight isnt over 3.5 tonnes. we have only just been thinking about a trailer and him having to pass another test. happy days i think.

my son passed his test in 2008. so he should be able to drive a 3.5 tonne with a 750 trailer or a heavier trailer with a lighter vehicle providing the total weight isnt over 3.5 tonnes.

Very subtle, but no, sorry :)

He can tow a heavier trailer with a lighter car, which in combination is not over 3500Kg MAM. MAM is not weight, but maximum authorised mass....

I guess they realised no-one had a weighbridge at home, and actually asking people to estimate the weight of their truck was never going to be right.

He can also tow up to a 750KG MAM trailer (90% of these will be unbraked as not required) with any vehicle as long as it is 3500Kg MAM or less.

confused? You should be ;)

• Like 1