How much do I need to buy an Old Defender

Having sold my trusty 110 a year ago I'm now after a 90. But prices now seem to be climbing, and I'm out of touch so I need to ask the question. Basically I'm after a non-modded van (body possibly with windows), with an n/a diesel that I might later on swop for a tdi, and with a chassis that has probably been previously welded, but with current MoT.

My guess is that this spec could cost 2500-3000, which seems outrageous compared to a few years ago and is going to get me counting my saved pennies out. Your views please.....

Nineties have always kept their value quite good - unless it is really a bag of ...t.

The ones that have all the "essential extra's" seem to fetch serious money.

The Mrs. her Ninety - RHD, Defender 200 Tdi retrofit - has gone up for sale here in France for € 4.500 or delivered to a Le Havre or Calais Port for collection to the UK for ukp. 3.750 and that seems to be a realistic pricetag for these vehicles.

Real early ones fetch in Holland ridiculous amounts of money because of the tax thing...

Bon Courage !

i saw a 90 for sale at a car rally at powderham castle a few weeks back. to be very honest it was pile of poo. the guy wanted 3500 for it. i gave it a good once over. having just completed a full resto. i recon i'd have to spend over 3000 to fix it. i mean it was a pig. so, i would be looking to spend around 4000 for a good runner. you may find one cheaper , but the cheaper they are, the more you'll need to spend on it.

Thanks for the helpful views - its as I suspected really, and I think that the money we're talking about is probably more than I (or SWMBO) can afford at the moment. Probably my only real route is to find something without mot or with existing problems and take it from there - at least that way the problems should be explicit (not to say of course that there won't be more undeclared or not-known-about problems lurking). O yay, caveat emptor!

Thanks for the helpful views - its as I suspected really, and I think that the money we're talking about is probably more than I (or SWMBO) can afford at the moment. Probably my only real route is to find something without mot or with existing problems and take it from there - at least that way the problems should be explicit (not to say of course that there won't be more undeclared or not-known-about problems lurking). O yay, caveat emptor!

Or look at a Discovery.

Under the body they are very very similar to a Defender. And have in principle largely the same abilities. The only real difference is a bigger body. But the body tub generally addresses all the areas most people moan about the Defender. i.e. space, refinement, NVH, etc.