New STUB AXLE needed

Ok so it would seem the LR has seen my bank account and deemed it to have far too much in it!?! Grrrrrrrrr

So it requires front O/S ball joint seal.... Not too costly but messy

But also requires a rear N/S Stub axle (so may as well do the off side as well).....Bit messy but more importantly if I go genuine VERY costly!........

So is it best to go Genuine for this part FTC3188 or are the after market jobs any good, if so which???....... I have checked out LR Direct site and their is an Original Equipment make at £66 all in with 2yr warranty, I was thinking of this 1 unless you guys tell me different???

Thoughts/suggestions please........Regards Andy

yep all priced up Bearings, seals, brake pads, bolts the lot which is why I am asking about using genuine stub axles as they are £100 each, kind of kills it and makes it a bit more than I can manage?....... But if that's the general thought then may have to cry!!!

Rear stub axle on ebay LR Genuine for £45 --- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252452780977?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006597&poi=&campaignid=625768298&device=c&adgroupid=28052981946&rlsatarget=pla-183556650546&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Britpart do not make parts they are just a parts supply as are Bearmach & others, just buy the best you can afford.

I replaced one of mine recently as had an issue with it. Definitely replace bearings and seals. I used an aftermarket one and all ok so far, approximately 1,000 miles in. As stated previously buy what you can afford and bear in mind your type of use. Light or abusive.

Rear stub axle on ebay LR Genuine for £45 --- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252452780977?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006597&poi=&campaignid=625768298&device=c&adgroupid=28052981946&rlsatarget=pla-183556650546&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Britpart do not make parts they are just a parts supply as are Bearmach & others, just buy the best you can afford.

Hmm. i always thought that Bearmark was recognised as oem standard. i've used Britpart before and the parts havent lasted as long. As you say. LR parts would be 1st port of call,but for me , if i cant get an OEM i'll use Bearmark. i might have just been lucky.

Had seen that one Western and did the "buy now" 1st. Thing this morning ;) so just need one more :(

Thanks guys may well have to settle for best quality aftermarket for the other one? But have a few weeks before MOT is due to keep looking

• Like 1

ok cant seem to get pictures up???

But on the exploded parts diagram for rear axles vin LA........ on wards (last page I think?)....... What is part Number 18?.....the parts number listing at the side only goes up to 16 and there is NO number 17???

Not sure what is called but it's in pdf format Land Rover Defender 90 master parts list? covers all models with exploded diagrams and a list of part numbers at the side.

It's in "axles and suspension" section......Page number 521

If u go non genuine, then buy from somewhere where u can measure the bearing diameters with a micrometer. I found a britpart stub axle to be smaller in diameter than the stub axle I was rejecting. Bought genuine.

Other thought - all the vehicle wieght is carried through stub axles.

I think it's number 21 on your link Western, a Spacer?........Do you happen to have a part number for this, or a recommended size as your link offers a few options?

that spacer is used on Td5 with a special nut that is staked in place to lock it,

can't remember what year your vehicle is but if 300tdi or earlier you should have the normal 2 nuts.

So searching the net after putting in FTC3188G (Stub axle part number and "G" for Genuine) I have found these?

FTC3188G.....OEM Britpart

FTC3188G.....OEM Allmakes

FTC3188G.....OEM Bearmach

Think I will go with an OEM Bearmach just to be safe ;)

So searching the net after putting in FTC3188G (Stub axle part number and "G" for Genuine) I have found these?

FTC3188G.....OEM Britpart

FTC3188G.....OEM Allmakes

FTC3188G.....OEM Bearmach

Think I will go with an OEM Bearmach just to be safe ;)

Yes probably best.

I fitted a set of All Make rear calipers last week, the rear passenger side fitted grand with the original 12mm bolts sliding through no problem, the same can't be said for the drivers rear as the bolt holes on that caliper were too small and had to be enlarged using a 12mm bit.

Any Bearmach part I've used in the past has always fitted like a glove.

OK so the Genuine stub axle I got off the bay arrived, and on inspecting it found it to be tacky/sticky with some kind of wax/grease coating? do I leave this on or remove it with a de-greaser so it's smooth and dry???