Ignition troubles

mat2495

Evening all, I am facing a bit of a conundrum with an ignition system. It is a 3.5 carb. v8, but fitted with a 35dlm8 electronic ignition (powerspark?) This has been trouble free for thousands of miles, until it died whilst idling, luckily still on the drive! Anyway, after it refused to start again due to lack of spark it was treated to a new ignition module (lucas) and a lucas dlb198 coil, as the old one was of unknown age and origin.

This fix seemed to work a treat, for all of about 10 minutes, when it died again (still on the drive luckily) with the exact same symptoms.

Before throwing more money down the dunny, does anyone have any thoughts as to what could kill either or both of these components? is that the right coil to be using? some places suggest it has too low a primary resistance for this system. also it is a non-ballasted ignition if it matters. I did notice a slight ticking sound from the coil while it was briefly running, could it have been a duffer from new?

Oh an I will say it before anyone else does...Megajolt :ph34r: ..

Cheers

Hi Bowie, do they have a habit of failing or am I just unlucky? do they survive any better with a particular coil? as the primary resistance range I have seen listed as suitable for them is 1.5-3.5 ohms, which seems to cover just about all of them

Thanks