Terra Firma Big Bore Shocks

Just had a Terra Firma Big Bore Expedition shock absorber shear at the base of the cylinder whilst driving through Russia (on 'roads' that in fairness have been pretty good mostly). Anyone any thoughts on whether to replace with original LR parts or to stick with TF and just accept that this was bad luck? Driving a 110 that has had rear seats removed and converted to sleep in back. Has roof rack, water tank, fridge freezer etc however total weight is not more than it would be with seats in and two adults in the back.

TF would be shipped from UK, likewise for genuine parts. Currently in Irkutsk and heading South to Mongolia.

Thanks for any info in anticipation.

I tried several different kinds of "better" shocks, started with OME and worked though the big bore options, and ended up with the same problem on all of them, tearing out the mounting on either the ring side or the bolt side.....this is for my 150" converted vehicles in Botswana btw, seriously bad roads, thick sand, heavy loads, pulling trailers, the whole hog......

then I started converting them to double rear shocks..... and what a pleasure, all chassis till now I have drilled have the tubes in place for bolting on the shock mounting rear of the axle, with the usual land rover exactness of about half and inch variance.....then I weld a second shock mounting plate onto the axle at the back, made out of 3 pieces of 50x6mm flatbar, shaped correctly. then I stick normal cheap shocks in and they work so much better than any "heavy duty" or "big bore" single shock it is like day and night.....cost very little to replace, last longer than the "big bores".

makes for a much more stable ride, bushes and bolts and bump rubbers and springs all last longer.....

I'd go OE Delphi or OE Boge - both gas options. Cheap as chips and very good

Alternatively go spend on the best which is Bilstein

Koni are okay but they fail - although nowhere near as much as Terrafirma

The twin shock set up as cool as long as your second shock is of a 'softer' nature to your leading shock

• Like 1

I'd go OE Delphi or OE Boge - both gas options. Cheap as chips and very good

Alternatively go spend on the best which is Bilstein

Koni are okay but they fail - although nowhere near as much as Terrafirma

The twin shock set up as cool as long as your second shock is of a 'softer' nature to your leading shock

Whats the reason for that? :)

i think it depends more on your load, in an empty defender double shocks are not pleasant, knock your teeth out of your head via the seat of your pants,.....but.... loaded....a dream.

I tried double front shocks on my 143" double cab, its a full size double cab (rear door same size as front door) and a full Hi-cap bin and ended up taking them off as it was unpleasant

but in the rear it makes all the difference. you can run a lighter spring because you don't bottom out, so you not overcompensating with your spring because of bad shocks....which is so often the case.