Expert help Required

skirky dave

That is pretty typical rocker pad wear when the caps are not used on the valve stemns.

If I remember rightly, there are hollow dowels to locate the pedestals before bolting down.  I suspect you have a dowel with a damaged edge or a pedestal with some dirt or a bit of damage to the hole preventing the dowel from entering the bolt hole.  Tightening any of the bolts with a pedestal not seated will bend the shaft - I hope you have onky finger-tightened them and that none of the pedestals have been force down if one is hung up.

As for waking times, we're three hours ahead of the UK in summer, four in winter...

Les is right - that timing case is filthy.  But 19Js invariably crack pistons and heads, pressurising badly, pushing oil out of every gasket and seal.  That's the result!

Snagger, cheers for the heads up again.

and yes the 19j engine is a total write off. With cracked pistons and all sorts of problems, but there again, i only wanted the chest off it.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Rocker bolts had only been finger tight and have since been removed for closer inspection.

I also slackened ALL the rockers off before hand to make sure the pedestals sat down first, which of course they didnt..,but did before i stripped down the rocker shaft.

I shall keep you informed of my findings.

As you start to tighten down the pedestals, you will find that one or two valves start to open.  The rockers are going to be pressing the valves down against their springs, so the pedestals will have to be tightened down that last bit by the bolts.  If you're worried about the pedestal and shaft fit, do a test by removing the two push rods that are up, fitting the shaft and checking that all the pedestals are seated properly.  Remove the pedestals and shaft again, refit the two rods and refit the shaft.  Tighten the bolts progressively, not torquing any until the pedestals are all down.

Snagger,........ok we'll do.

If i have any further problems with this, i shall post a couple of images.

This is most probably due to something i've done as it fitted perfect, before i stripped the rocker shaft down  and change the rockers over,.. and the only reason i did this is because my original one's were shocking and the 19j's looked so much better and complete with caps fitted. So i'm thinking it must be me.

In fact Les gave me an idea, which makes sense,  i might not, have turned the shaft around and aligned it properly. It might be a millimeter or two out. I'm not sure but i shall check it this morning. 

Cheers mate.

Ok, this is what was causing the problem. Or should i say, it was, in fact, MY fault as i previously stated to Snagger.

Having said that, it's all a learning curve.

The very fact that the Rocker's component parts have to be PUSHED onto the shaft, especially the END pedestals, is in the clue.

There is no fixing point on the ends ,as such, i.e circlips , so when you push the ends onto the shaft, you may be 1 or 2 millimetres out.on the dowels.at both ends.

Having the Christmas Lights suddenly come on ...AGAIN..i decided to gently tap the pedestals with a wood drift whilst the large bolts were semi inserted into the pedestals holes.

As soon as the pedestal bolts was over the correct locating point.....the bolts dropped in.

This may seem blatantly obvious to those who know and have experience in stripping/replacing these rockers..but it was the first time i had ever stripped one down, cleaned and replaced with other rockers to replace the existing one's that was badly marked.

There are more images to come with other remedies to straight forward problems if anyone is interested or if it helps those with similar problems. 

Just one of the Rockers stripped down and cleaned in petrol.

To those who are not aware, if you look inside the rocker, you can see a small hole which goes all the way to the upper pad part.

These were from the 19 TD engine and 3 of them were partially clogged.

With a 3 inch piece of fine multi stand cable, i managed to clear the rocker of gunge, re rinsed in petrol and left to dry before re/assembly with plenty of fresh 20/50 oil.

In this image, you can see all the Rocker bolts numbered. It was in fact my partner (Sue) who came up with the idea. That i should clean the bolts with white spirit, leave to dry and then apply TIPPEX. Leave that to dry which takes 5 mins and then apply permanent marker pen, that way if i drop them or whatever i can still refer to which holes they go into. The same can be applied to cylinder head bolts.  The marker pen can then be cleaned off with a petrol wragg.

5 hours ago, skirky dave said:

Anyone tell me if it's ok to use the crankshaft pully from the 19j TD in place of the Sherpa's, there both single pully's.

Dave.

The crank shafts are the same, so the pulley will fit, and you may need to swap over to get the alignment with the 19J water pump pulley.  You may also need to swap the alternator mountings over if they differ dimensionally to get the alternator pulley in line with the water pump pulley.  Don't forget the thread lock on the crank pulley bolt.

Thanks for that Snagger, never occurred to me regarding the alternator. I'll check that out.

Also...before i put the Timing Case and Radiator back on,  is it ok to try to start the engine for a short time just to make sure the diesel is getting to the pump / injectors.

My train of thought is, get the engine started for a few seconds, switch off,  and then start putting everything back on. 

I can then fine tune the pump after.

What do you think.

Cheers

Dave.