X-Brake Handbrake Rattle

I have recently fitted an X Brake to the 110 and can't for the life of me stop it from rattling, has anyone got any pointers?

I set it up multiple times following the instructions precisely and it still rattled. The instructions referred to the silicon fix on the back of the pad but that hasn't helped so I then removed and Sikaflexed it allowing 48 hours for it to cure whilst clamped in the vice and the caliper under tension as per the instructions.

Having set it up again it was still rattling so removed the cable from the caliper (so the pads are back as far as possible but the rattle persists (albeit slightly less).

Is there another trick to making it quiet?

It's a great design and I don't want to revert back to the standard one but could do with sorting it.

Thanks, Harry

Are you sure its actually the brake and not a bearing or something similar. There isn't much that could be rattling on them. could the disc be running off square? for instance if there is grit or even paper between the seat and the disc it would not sit flat.

I don't think it's a bearing, I took the caliper off and carried on driving the vehicle whilst the Sikaflex was curing on the pads and the noise was gone. Similarly shaping the caliper didn't produce a rattle.

I'll pull the disk/mounting bracket off and clean the mating faces to see if that makes a difference when next home, that could well be the issue. Is there a way to test for a minor warp in the disk also?

Thanks, Harry

Mine rattled and I tired siliconing it - which didn't work. Then I tried again following the instructions exactly - and it did.

http://foundry4x4.co.uk/pdf/X%20Eng%20at%20Foundry%204x4%20X-Brake%20Defender%20Instructions.pdf

I'm not sure what made the difference - it may have been keying the back of the pad so the silicone adhered properly ? Or perhaps giving the right amount of time to cure or using the right type of silicone ? All I know is that when I did it exactly as it said in the instructions it worked.

you can jack it up on all four wheels then set a ruler against a hard surface, turning the engine over slowly or turning brake disc.

Alternatively and probably a bit easier is to freewheel down an incline with the window open and gently pull the handbrake on...dont do it hard or all the way...see how it sounds.

Remove the centre seat or hubby box and watch the disc spinning at speed....

I suggest getting someone else to drive..

Mine rattled so much I have up with it!!

The thought of trying to do that, while driving brings quite an image to mind......and some seriously talented contortionism

Thanks guys :) I followed the destructions and have re-mounted it several times now. The calliper moves on the sliders freely and the pads are definitely secure, the Sikaflex won't budge any time soon and was left for 48 hours in the vice with the pads clamped then another few days in the house so it should have cured.

The noise reduces when the handbrake is pulled on by 1 click.

Seems like in the first instance I'll check the disk runs true with someone driving and also check the mounting faces of the disk and bracket etc are clean.

It's a while until I am back to UK but will update once done.

Thanks, Harry

• 1 month later...

So managed to squeeze a day of work ahead of the MOT and got under the 110. I checked the disk with a home-made version of a dti (G clamp and centre punch) and the disk runs true. Pulled the backplate off to give it a clean and remounted it. Shook/wobbled the output flange and bearings are all good so not that.

The fixed pad is still stuck like turd to a blanket with no rattle but the moving one wobbles. I don't want to use Sikaflex because there is no room to cut it out later for a pad change so went with some rtv sealant and clamped it in the vice to set as per the destructions. Fingers crossed it should have set later today and can be thrown back in :)

On 9/30/2016 at 5:53 PM, Snagger said:

Is there a way to fit some springs that hold the pad back against the mechanism?

It doesn't look like there is any way of fitting some springs internally.

On the plus side, the brake is silent! RTV sealant on the moving pad has stopped the noise, not sure how long it will hold up for but all is good now :D thanks for the help chaps.

Harry 

I sympathise! 

I adjusted mine from one extreme to the other (including all points inbetween), tried every single hole for the cable, got fed up paid a trusted garage to fix it (they failed).

I next tried new pads (original ones worn from juddering) to no avail - juddering continued despite another round of adjustment.

At this point I decided life was too short to try and achieve a non juddering X Brake! 

On 10/4/2016 at 10:26 PM, Steve King said:

I sympathise! 

I adjusted mine from one extreme to the other (including all points inbetween), tried every single hole for the cable, got fed up paid a trusted garage to fix it (they failed).

I next tried new pads (original ones worn from juddering) to no avail - juddering continued despite another round of adjustment.

At this point I decided life was too short to try and achieve a non juddering X Brake! 

Steve your user name sounded familiar, I bought the X-brake from you 2nd hand in 2014! All seems to be good now so will see how long it lasts :D

11 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Mine took two goes to get it to a non-rattling state, but since then it's been silent (touch wood...). You have to follow the instructions to the letter, particularly the position while allowing it to set etc.

I followed the instructions on Foundry several times but it still rattled. This time around I used a how-to in the tech archive which was written by Western I think, whether it was that or the sealant on the moving calliper I don't know but it is quiet now - yippee!

• Like 1

On 6 October 2016 at 8:38 AM, Boris113 said:

Steve your user name sounded familiar, I bought the X-brake from you 2nd hand in 2014! All seems to be good now so will see how long it lasts :D

I followed the instructions on Foundry several times but it still rattled. This time around I used a how-to in the tech archive which was written by Western I think, whether it was that or the sealant on the moving calliper I don't know but it is quiet now - yippee!

I'm glad you managed to sort it! 

I dread to think how much time I spent on it!