Northern european road trip ideas.

unfit

Hi All,

Planning a family trip, in a landrover defender 110, want to ask for ideas of best roads, best spots to visit, wild camping etc.

Have a vague route planned (see map) and 4 weeks to do it in. Thinking about the oresund bridge, trollstigen, the Atlantic ocean road.

Any ideas?

post-110653-0-83237100-1470384445_thumb.jpeg

All those Norwegian valleys that run down to the ocean are stunning. Hoddevik is the one I've seen but I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg. Christiania is worth a look for just out and out strange, and the little Mermaid will probably be on your itinerary for the kids but be warned... it's quite the anticlimax. Can't advise on the free camping other than to say if you haven't done this before, consider what you bring very carefully. It's horrible being cramped in the car by something you realise you don't need.

All those Norwegian valleys that run down to the ocean are stunning. Hoddevik is the one I've seen but I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg. Christiania is worth a look for just out and out strange, and the little Mermaid will probably be on your itinerary for the kids but be warned... it's quite the anticlimax. Can't advise on the free camping other than to say if you haven't done this before, consider what you bring very carefully. It's horrible being cramped in the car by something you realise you don't need.

Wow, google imaged Hoddevik. Looks amazing and the campsite is on the beach, love it.

I've done part of the trip a few times - not the Norwegian leg though. I have family in Finland so have done the road trip to Helsinki a few times as well as the Stockholm to Helsinki ferry run. To be honest I find Norway a little boring after day three until you get much higher up near the artic circle.

I like Sweden, its like Finland but with less petrol head, vodka swilling, nutters. I do like Finland more though...

Looks good, i may do something similar if mine is ever finished.

I've done the Germany - Sweden part a couple of time, The only useful thing i can tell you is that the Germany-Denmark (Rodbyhaven - Puttgarten) ferry is just turn up and use, and runs all night.

Also of note, if you want to get further up without the boring bits, Finland (and i think Sweden) have car trains. I did Oulu to Helsinki overnight. Load car, Find cabin, Drink beer, wake up 500km later and drive off.

You could quite easily make the a round trip through Sweden - Norway - Finland - Sweden and miss the boring bits overnight.

Hi,

So we have the trip mapped but not set in stone. Lots of good ideas for Norway (thanks you all).

These are the blanks, as we have never been to these counties, where to stop and camp (sites with showers and nice local hiking/rivers) in Northern France, Belgium, Germany and Sweden???