Tow bar wiring confusion

Ok so on my old plug i have a red, yellow, blue, brown, green, black and a white wire but on the tow bar i bought at the weekend i have a purple, black, red/orange, red/yellow, red/black, green/white, green/red, green/brown and green/purple wires. Would anybody know which corresponds to which?

These are the vehicles wiring colour codes NOT the 7 core trailer wire.which are plain colours, red,white,black,blue,green,yellow,brown.

plain purple is 12v permanent live feed

red/orange = RH tail light

red/yellow = rear fog light

red/black = LH tail light & rear number plate light

green/white = RH indicator

green/red = LH indicator

green/brown = feed from reverse switch to reverse lights

green/purple = brake light L & R.

Yes, :i-m_so_happy: the trailer socket pins are numbered as noted in diagram ,view from the face the wires fit into, not where the trailer plug pushes in.

12N_Socket_wiring.GIF

the 12N trailer socket should have the plain colour wires which go up inside the vehicle & connect into the parent vehicles wiring loom usually in the right rear corner.

No, leave the purple unconnected but ensure it cannot short out on any metal. with a suitable fuse you can use it as a power feed in the rear.

your 'new' towbar electrics, read like the previous owner used the vehicle wiring colour code wires, maybe to make his fault finding easier.