help fitting an external power point

can anybody tell me the ins and outs of putting a power point on the outside of my 90 ?iv seen a few MEB defenders with heller sockets fitted but surely they would short if they get wet ? and why don't the electrics short when your wading ?I was brought up thinking electrics and water don't mix but lorries have Anderson plugs on the outside aswell why don't they short as they are open to the weather ?

because a thin film of water is actually a crappy conductor. you may get a tiny amount of current leakage thats all.

just dont do what ive seen done... a live unfused 35mm2 cable run along the chassis, cable tied every foot and tight up against several sharp bits of metal by the cross member. yeah, that'll end well....

DIN sockets are the same size as cigarette lighters, but rated to higher current, more secure in their engagement and usually have rubber caps to stop dirt getting in when not in use. That might not keep it entirely dry, so a quick spray out with WD40 after removing the cap would be prudent (it'd stop condensation corrosion, too). A switch i the feed inside the nearest door would prevent draining and also stop scum bags trying to short it out with bits of wire or scrap metal.

It may help to view the situation from a slightly different angle. Nothing is changed here except the terminology.

An older term for voltage (as in 12 volts) was EMF or Electro-Motive Force. This term gives us a clue that the voltage can be considered the force or pressure that pushes the current through the wire, or bulb, or motor, etc.

Water doesn't support the passage of electrical current very well, so it lakes a lot of voltage to push a significant amount of current through it, and 12, 24, or even 36 volts isn't enough pressure.

Move onto UK mains voltage of 230 or 240 volts and you now have enough voltage to push current through water.

Humans have a lot of 'water' (liquid) in them, and we use electrical signals to send information within the body. You can appreciate fairly readily that applying a 240 volt force can push enough current through to overload our electrical circuits. The combination of a wet surface and sufficient voltage is enough to make electrocution a real possibility. Thus it is drilled into us at a very early age that electricity and water should not mix. That understanding helps us survive.

12 volts will cause very small currents to flow, this gives us electrolytic corrosion, which is enhanced if the junction between the different metals is damp, so protection of otherwise exposed electrical joints by Petroleum Jelly (more expensively known as Vaseline) is beneficial to a long and fault free operation.

Regards.

• Like 1

B&Q sell outdoor electrical fittings i.e light switches and sockets. they also do water proof junction boxes. why not take a look at these. you may be able to fit you socket in one and have it water tight. i have one on my back wall with a plug in it for the lawn mower. i've never had any water ingress.