What to replace with timing cover off and essential spares (300tdi)

I have after quite a bit of work removed the crank nut from my 300tdi engine and is about to remove the timing cover. The radiator is out and is quite ratty looking so I think I will order a new one. I have the Paddock spares timing belt kit on the way - a new belt, tensioner, idler and cover gasket.

Is there anything else that you would replace as you have radiator out/timing cover off on an underserviced, 18y old / 130 000 miles old 300tdi?

I did have some squealing noise from the belts or pulleys but unfortunately I did not pinpoint where it came from before starting to take down the engine.

Also, are there any other essential spares that would be good to have ready in the garage? I did oil service and changed diesel and air filters last week, and I have an extra filter kit on the shelf. I have also changed the rocker cover seal.

Aux belt (two types) one is 15mm longer if you have bigger diameter alt pulley.

Aux tensioner is probably making the squeak noise, you can buy a new assembly if you pinpoint this bearing as faulty

or there was a writeup on just changing the offending bearing with some diy butchery skills.

Give it a spin without the belt on or feel if theres any play in it by twisting.

Only other jobs for me would be to change the p gasket on the waterpump if it's fibre or leaky,

and bin the plastic rad cap and thermostat cap and replace with metal items which take a socket

• Like 1

Spares good to have at hand, at least 1 wheel bearing kit, and prop uj kit.

length of diesel leakoff tubing, and a short length of brake pipe. (can be used for leakoff pipes or bleeding brakes)

a selection of spare fluids along with a cheap 1/2" drive socket set and a 27mm spanner and a T55/1/2" socket.

greasegun and LM grease, copperease

spare aux belt in the vehicle, along with bulbs.

• Like 1

Aux tensioner is probably making the squeak noise, you can buy a new assembly if you pinpoint this bearing as faulty

or there was a writeup on just changing the offending bearing with some diy butchery skills.

Give it a spin without the belt on or feel if theres any play in it by twisting.

There is definitely play in the aux tensioner. Is this the item that also can be referred to as alternator belt tensioner?

Thank you very much Pete, much appreciated! :)