Motor windings

reb78

The AC fan on the D2 was semi seized at the weekend. I opened it up and freed off a magnet that had come unstuck from the casing. That's all fine and reglued now.

But, I also noticed that some of the copper strands from the central shaft by the brushes to the motor windings look to have melted.

Is this repairable? How? Will it run ok as it is?

Pics

3E383D62-8627-45D0-81A6-CEA83EE14515_zps

95D99498-926C-4887-83A9-1B491DC259FD_zps

New motor time, the wire has melted, probably caused by the magnet jamming the rotor, increasing the current past the design point. This is why some of the wire is black, it should be all the brown red colour at the 12 o'clock position.

Ah. Bugger.

I've contacted one of the D2 breakers on the D2boysclub. It's a crappy design really - wouldn't take much to secure the magnets more reliably.

These fans new seem to cost a bomb. I wonder if I need to get creative with an aftermarket replacement or from an alternative from another vehicle being broken.

The other alternative is to see if you have a industrial motor rewind firm near you. They should be able to rewind it. Years ago I had a dishwasher pump motor rewound - it was only around £50, fraction of the price of a new motor. Your motor is much smaller so I can't think it would cost a fortune.

Magnets used to be held into cases on small motors by spring clips, guess glue is cheaper and quicker.....

There are a couple of windings places nearish to me. I will give them a call and see what they can do with it.

The other affordable options are potentially kenlowe or similar replacements.I can match up the diameters and depths, but does anyone have any ideas as to flow rates or RPM for the OEM AC fan on the D2? Not sure where to find that info.

Something such as these?

http://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/warehouse/tuning-internal-and-external-fixtures/cooling-system/electric-fans-with-high-performance-blades/electric-fans-12-volt.html

or these:

http://www.kenlowe.com/CoolingAftermarket.php (not sure on the prices of the kenlowes)

as already pointed out, the winding is dead - the wires are insulated from each other by a layer of laquer - where the wire appears black, the laquer has become damaged due to heat so is likely to short out the coil, not to mention the melted parts.

solution is to find replacement or have the winding replaced.

scrap yards are full of dead cars with working electrical fans, also take a look on ebay for the same or similar sized fan.

I guess the question is, how do you match the spec. I can measure diameter, find a similar blade pattern, but flow and rom (related I guess) are unknown to me, so I may end up with something hugely under spec?