Float depth???

As I am stripping the front axle down to change bearings, seals and swivel joint seals, I have heard mention of checking drive shaft end float?

How IMPORTANT is this???.........and HOW do you do it?......Do I NEED the fancy float checking gadget?

When I previously changed 1 of the swivel joint seals and bearings I know for a fact I did NOT check the end float and all has seemed fine for the last 5yrs, or am I just lucky for a change?

Put on what you take off. you cant go wrong, but then again, it's a Land Rover. The Haynes book of fairy tales and untruths says. if you change the bearing set the hub end float to 0.05 to 0.10 using a dial gauge, But, when i stripped mine down , i didnt bother. no issues so far. just spin the hub as you tighten the nut , then back it off.

I thought the drive shaft end float is how tight the CV joint is in the stub axle whereas the hub end float is the play in the bearings

Last time I replaced the stub axle I spent far too long trying to set the driveshaft end float with various combinations of shims.

I would think that as long as there is movement then there is not problem. the end float simply takes into account the movement and flex that occurs when you drive. if it was a solid "unmovable" system it would destroy bearings and cv joints etc very quickly. mine move a couple of millimeters.

I would be more worried if they didnt move than if they moved a bit too much. (having said that.... both are a sign of wear on something or other so check it out)