td5 performance issue - something is lacking.

Hi,

The vehicle is a 2002 110 csw. and its seems to be gutless. I have been going through this beast slowly and sorting out all its problems slowly but surely, however its stumped me now so help is needed.

the problem seems to be turbo lag and a little bit of general power. for example, turn the engine on (all good) but try to pull off and away then not much happens for a second or two (hence turbo thoughts) this can happen in all gears. Only really noticed it because its been driven harder (by me, not the misses) on a longer drive (a couple of hundred miles instead of 10 mile every other day)

Also - on long hills or steep hills .. it seems to be just tired, the speed and revs drop off fairly quick so from 60mph it will drop to 45/50,. so quick change down to get the revs back and not a great deal happens.. it has not urgency to get up and running or moving again. top speed is approx 75mph eventually. unless really steep then I may get 80mph.

the wife reckons it pretty much stalls when she first drives off in the morning or after work unless many revs are used.

engine miles is 103000, on a 15p engine.

Things done so far

MAF sensor (with know working one out of my other td5)

injector loom

injector copper seals/washers

turbo waste gate does work/ moves freely now - it was seized on the turbo side - the level thingy.

driving with MAF sensor unplugged too - no difference really.

no errors reported when you plug a computer in etc and live data supports info from the Maf sensor.

Please help.

Is its new turbo time?

MAP sensor? (don't know how that works or side effects)

what else can I do

Cheers

Had a similar issue with my TD5 recently, have you cleaned the MAP sensor with some brake cleaner? What reading are you getting on tickover from the MAF?

Suggest changing the fuel filter as above if not already done and also a new air filter. Also check around the exhaust manifold for warping, wipe your hand around it and check for soot to indicate leaks. A pressure test of the intercooler/pipes would be wise also.

Thread below was when mine was suffering:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic48017.html

cheers everyone.

and no extra smoke on start up or at any time during the lag - seems to run quit clean.

righto,I shall do a quick engine service on her (its only a few months away any way) and see what comes of it and clean the map sensor up. I was going to swap the turbo pipes over too but that a couple more quid I can spend after the cheaper options are sorted. :)

How do you pressure test the intercooler pipes?

I shall let you know about the progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, doing a quick update.

So I have done a complete engine service plus filters, I have put on new turbo hoses or the silicon kind and also cleaned the MAP sensor with break fluid. she now has much more power in her. but is still not quite right yet. top speed and hills are about right(ish) still slower than my 130 mind.

it seems on start up, unless you let it catch its breath as such it will be a sluggish response, until something works and boom your off. the lag is noticeable but not massive like before. Could there be a pedal switch issue?

Thanks for the previous help as it has assisted a lot so far.

The pedal resistor could have a flat spot.

The low range switch could be broken and thinks it's in low range always so has adjusted the throttle response.

Td5s have an anti stall feature which only works when there is no throttle input. Pulling away on tickover will reduce the stalling.

interesting theory with the switch - however wouldn't the light be on the dash if the ecu thinks its engaged? plus I always thought landy responded quicker (jerky like) when in low range, just slow.

I have a spare pedal in my garage (as you do), I shall swap that out at some point and see what happens next.