200 Tdi Timing Belt Oddness

• 4 months later...

Not quite a belt oddness, but....

Last year when I changed engines in the D I S C O, after I had changed the timing belt, I used the timing chest cover off my previous engine (newer and cleaner) and fitted a new water pump. All back together fine and dandy. Except a slight weep at the top of the pump mating face. Annoying but no biggie.

Bought another gasket - checked everything was spotless. Weep still there

Bought another gasket, took it apart, true'd everything, shiny clean. New pot of Heltite. Weep still there.

Swapped timing chest cover, bought new pump (neither were Britpart), true'd everything, payen gasket. Weep still there

In exasperation took the vehicle down to our local garage. Real world mechanics, lots of experience, work on a lot of older stuff, also sell fuel. They true'd the timing chest, cover and pump, fitted everything and it leaked. This annoyed them, so they made a gasket from the cork sheet that they make gaskets for the fuel pumps. No leak in 10K

Nothing really to report hurbie, I changed the belt in August so a few weeks late.

Some wear again on the front edge again but not really any worse than last time. I'm not unduly concerned and I expect the new belt will be the same when I change it in 2026.

Mo

20210813_142701.thumb.jpg.8c17d515579e7ade739dac78bb9ac40b.jpg

20210813_131654.thumb.jpg.ab7760e5b04781c827a6c695f529958a.jpg

20210813_131646.thumb.jpg.2ea148b9d59d9edcc0baf5ee4a08b76e.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Not quite a belt oddness, but....

Last year when I changed engines in the D I S C O, after I had changed the timing belt, I used the timing chest cover off my previous engine (newer and cleaner) and fitted a new water pump. All back together fine and dandy. Except a slight weep at the top of the pump mating face. Annoying but no biggie.

Bought another gasket - checked everything was spotless. Weep still there

Bought another gasket, took it apart, true'd everything, shiny clean. New pot of Heltite. Weep still there.

Swapped timing chest cover, bought new pump (neither were Britpart), true'd everything, payen gasket. Weep still there

In exasperation took the vehicle down to our local garage. Real world mechanics, lots of experience, work on a lot of older stuff, also sell fuel. They true'd the timing chest, cover and pump, fitted everything and it leaked. This annoyed them, so they made a gasket from the cork sheet that they make gaskets for the fuel pumps. No leak in 10K

I share your pain. I had a leak at the back of the waterpump gallery on the 110 (defender 200tdi engine) - between the timing chest and block. I changed those gaskets three times and in the end used some loctite non-setting liquid gasket. It felt a bodge but it has worked but the normal gaskets just werent sealing that joint. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Nothing really to report hurbie, I changed the belt in August so a few weeks late.

Some wear again on the front edge again but not really any worse than last time. I'm not unduly concerned and I expect the new belt will be the same when I change it in 2026.

Mo

That looked just like mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

I share your pain. I had a leak at the back of the waterpump gallery on the 110 (defender 200tdi engine) - between the timing chest and block. I changed those gaskets three times and in the end used some loctite non-setting liquid gasket. It felt a bodge but it has worked but the normal gaskets just werent sealing that joint. 

I have to use 2 Gaskets in that joint on my engine...