Oil vapor from 200tdi

oil vapour from where. is it from the oil filler cap, when removed, the dip stick or crank case vent to the air filter. the 1st thing i'd do is check that the engine is breathing as it should. remove the separator and pipes. give them a good clean. at least you'll know that it can separate oil and air. its possible that the separator outlet to sump could be restricted. is it due an oil change, if so give it a engine flush to rid it of any held up crud. hopefully it wont be caused by bad rings.

Thanks for the replies. The oil filler opening is clear, no vapor from it. Will give the seperator and pipes a good cleaning. The oil vapor is coming from the oil catch cylinder connected to the cyclone breather. Changed the cyclone breather out hoping it could be the issue, but no luck.

just clean the cyclonic breather, no need to replace it, there are no moving parts inside, it should drain oil direct to sump via the bottom hose & the stub facing forward goes to air cleaner connection, I'm assuming you or a previous owner plumbed the catch tank in, as they are not a factory fit item.

That doesn't look right? At all!

That pipe going to the bottle should go to the air intake to provide the suction to cause the separator cyclone to work, shouldn't it?

It normally does, to provide a small vacuum to suck the oil vapour into the induction system. That may benefit overall emissions, but it does make a hell of a mess of the ducts, pipes and intercooler over time. I set my 109 up with the breather running to the intake tract of the oil filter to prevent contamination of the rest of the system, and used a K&N as a paper filter would clog, get soggy and probably collapse. It works well. A catch tank is no bad thing, but it has to vent, so the hose should run inside the tank and not be sealed. What is done in the photos above is nonfunctional.

Great suggestion Snagger, do you have any pictures of your setup?

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/easy-breathing/

Not only do K&N type filters not break down and tear with oil contamination, but the dirtier they get, the better they filter the air, especially if the dirt on the filter is moist, like oil. The amount of oil collected int here is small, the base of the canister just needing a wipe with a rag each service, but it keeps the rest of the induction system tract spotlessly clean.

Except K&N filtration capability is horrible. They are not a good choice for the health of your engine.

That is true, but application is a factor - my filter is prefiltered by the cyclonic head and raised intake level of the snorkel, and the car isn't used in a very dusty environment. If I was to take the vehicle to a dusty environment, even with the snorkel, I'd temporarily use the standard filter that resides in one of the side lockers along with the other spare filters and lubricants.