Utility 109 SW

Journey Man

Has anyone made a "utility" station wagon? I am considering this as part of a rolling restoration of my 109 SW. If anyone knows of any photos, I'd like to see. Couldn't find any via a Google search.

Also, would an 88" side panel with no windows replace the 109" side panels as a direct swap?

Thanks

Dan

Has anyone made a "utility" station wagon? I am considering this as part of a rolling restoration of my 109 SW. If anyone knows of any photos, I'd like to see. Couldn't find any via a Google search. I

have seen pictures of this being done, but it was not a factory option.

Also, would an 88" side panel with no windows replace the 109" side panels as a direct swap?

Yes they are.

Thanks

Dan

I have seen a couple of 109s done this way. You could use SIII van sides which would give rear windows but solid sides, or you could find some older SII panels which are solid at the back too. You could also fit 110 rear panels, which would be solid throughout. As much as I dislike the aesthetic of missing the rear windows, they are the weakest point in terms of security, ridiculously easy to push in. Of course, you could always fit guards or the Masai type bonded glass if you use the panels with solid sides but glazed rears.

• Like 1

Hi Snagger

Agree regarding the security aspect. I'm planning on using the vehicle for travel and with bikes so would prefer to have them "out of sight" when inside. I like the look of utility station wagons, and detest Masai windows with a passion! Thanks for the details, that's much appreciated.