transmission oil temperature light

brianc14

Hi,

Keep getting transmission oil temperature light coming on (auto Box) Discovery 2 TD5 , happens when towing trailer 1-2 horses, We stop till it go's out and then set away again once it gets warmed up it happens more often. where's the best place to start with this one. I don't think there's any way to measure the actual temperature.

Make sure the cooler is clean on the outside.

Usual double oil change is normal after that, however it might be a better idea to remove the cooler return line and feed line, give it a blow out and try to flush some clean oil through, then do the double flush.

You can do a single flush with the return line off, but it's a bit tricky and impossible by yourself.

The transmission filter might also be worth changing as part of all that too.

It can be "tired" transmission temp sensor too(UBI100030), it's screwed into the cooler, i dont know it's thread but you can fit a sensor of a digital gauge instead of it with an adaptor if the thread is different, or you can drill and cut thread on the other side of the cooler.. then you'll see the real temp on the dash instead of the warning , that gauge works for oil as well, i fitted one to somebody in a BMW cooler and it works

i used a gauge like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-52mm-UNIVERSAL-DIGITAL-BLUE-LED-WATER-TEMP-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-METER-CAR-UK-/360811362289 water sensor/gauge works for oil as well, i wired one to a friend in a BMW cooler and it works(i made the electrics only cos he fitted the sensor to the cooler)

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when towing our caravan round some slow, hilly and twisty back roads after being diverted. I think it was due to keeping it in "D" which meant the torque converter spent a lot of time slipping. In retrospect I should (as advised in the handbook!) have used 3 or even 2.

Oil and filter both changed not long ago, and transmission works fine otherwise.

Hi,

I like the idea of a separate temp gauge, Thanks for the other help forgot about the handbook will try 2 or 3 next, My own thoughts after I look into the other suggestions might be to wire in the existing AC condenser fan (electric fitted in front of condenser) to a manual switch, this appears to have a dual function anyways (AC and fired from engine ECU for coolant o/h) I wonder why landrover never thought to give it a 3rd function from the G/B oil temp.

G`DAY Fery ,
I was talking about this to a truck mechanic , ( SEMI `S ) , He said the thing he would do is fit a bigger cooler or add an extra trans cooler , i will be sticking my D2 on the lift next week to see a good mount ,,

This is what i use in my 600hp burnout car ,, It runs a blown 350ci chev and a TH350 with kevlar clutches

B and M Are a american company that are sold world wide ,
I will see if there is some where to mount as i don't want to cook another Transmission

B&M HI-TEK ENGINE OIL & AUTO TRANS COOLER WITH 9.1/2" DIA 500CFM FAN ( BM70297 )

post-113500-0-42201000-1471909620_thumb.jpg