Blank Sheet Of Paper time - 90 Recovery point(s) Rear

Hybrid_From_Hell

Excellent,

Yes, that’s exactly what I will copy relicate. I’ve got all the bits ………… just time is not on my side right now…….. :rolleyes:

I seem to remember that the Lifting eyes are just tight enough to allow some swivel and then the nuts are heavy tack welded

Thats decent winch you have on there Jez :ph34r: , but of course, just like the axles............. it will never work ;)

Ian

I'll get a better pic for you over the weekend Ian, theres bushes welded inboard of the winch tray to use all the spare thread and act as load spreaders and gussets to brace it all up, the bushes have just enough clearance to allow them to swivel. Put grease nipples in the bushes and they wont sieze up ;)

I use unplated nuts - drill a hole in one of the flats, set the preload so the play is right and then weld the drilled hole shut to act as a non-negotiable locking device. not the best system in the world but Ive used it a fair few times and so far its proved cheap and reliable, the eyes double up as "bending things" points and steps for my pet dwarf navigator

the '07 winch will be something special :ph34r:

M24's Ian

I've got a pair of M24 lifting eyes that will be bolted though the rear winch mount

Just remember that with any lifting eye once you get away from the direct line through the thread the safe load drops dramatically, one five tonne lifting eye will drop to about one and a half tonnne if your at 45 degrees , if you make it swivel it will still drop dramatically unless the pull is through the centreline, about 10degrees is all your allowed.

Having said that the ones that Will Warne highlighted and the fabricated swivel shackles are excellent, I use those RUDD lifting eyes all the time at work and they are the dogs whatsits, probably expensive though.

Just had a look at my works bible on lifting loads, example two six tonne eye bolts drop to a safe lifting load of 2.3 tonne when you exceed 45 degrees.

RUD-Lifting points-WLL & Selection.

Bill

Keep the thoughts coming.

Why are some of them (a la Davids on the ramp) set at a "Jaunty" angle, looks ?, which is fine :lol: , or is there a reason that seems to be eascaping me, which I thinks there might be ??

Nige

for some reason i keep thinking that the best angle to weld these loops on would be at 45 degrees, rather than vertical or horizontal... if they are horizontal, they would make a good step, but if you were loading them vertically, they would be quite stressed, same as if they are mounted vertically, they would be stressed if you used them for a serious sideways pull...

at 45 degrees, you split the difference....

just my thoughts.... and you realy don't need much over 20mm bar... :rolleyes:

I'm using 2 lifting eyes, front and rear. Mounted them through a 8 mm plate of steel. Bolted them up tjust tight so they are able to rotate. Tested them thorougly last weekend. And was able to lift the front wheels of Serious by pulling from the one rear eye from a lower point (pulling from a stuck landie with hydraulic winches stuck in a puddle 2 meters lower and only 1 meter behind me. So about 5000kg pull). No distortion in the eye and only 1 mm in the crossmember. So they should be strong enough.

lierbumper2.jpg

Cheers Bowy