slick shift on Lt77

Well, here we go again. maybe another controversial topic. ( to go along with my ATF v MTF )

I have a slick shift in my LT77. TBH i dont think it's much better/different to having the standard shift.

So,

1/ Could a slick shift cause damage/issues with the LT77. i know that correct shifting is important with these boxes.

2/ should i bin it

3/ do you have one/ what do you think of it.

whats the general opinion

If you have a gear selection problem that is not due to a worn stick or mounting, then the slick shift is likely to make it worse - the point of the slick shift is to reduce the throw of the top of the stick by magnifying the throw at the bottom end. That means it also magnifies the speed of the bottom end, if the gear knob is moved at the same speed. LT77s suffer baulk ring wear and need a brief (1/4-1/2 second) pause as you pass through neutral. As long as you do this, then the slick shift will have no adverse effect on the gear shift.

I think your'e right. i do tend to drive it like a car sometimes. i'll be doing an oil service soon on the box. i might take the turret off and check the nylon bush etc. i've always had to yank the stick from 5th to 4th but have now been getting the same thing with most gears. i have a spare bush so i might fit it and even consider removing the slick shift. the gears apart from 4th have been fine for months but have now started to be a bit tight. theres no noises or leaks so hopefully its just an oil change and TLC. i will pause across the gear change as you suggest.

They work fine, my brother has one in his 90.

Sure it won't make it like a rifle bolt action or a short lever in something like an MX-5. But it makes a noticeable difference and is certainly more positive. The gear stick also doesn't require as much physical movement, so if you use a middle seat, it is a lot better.

The standard shifter is ok yes, but you could say standard anything is ok with every single part of any vehicle.... And some Land Rover's are track cars and even when not, doesn't mean you shouldn't want to enjoy driving them.

Strangely i agree with everyone. yep, its no track car. the only reason i fitted it was because, well not sure now. probably saw it somewhere and while the box was out. decided to fit one. As the truck was modified when i bought it, then i put it back to spec. I may just do away with it. i'll see what happens when i check the nylon bush at the oil service. i'll still get a few £ for on ebay. My only concern at the moment is the clunky shifting that's appeared over the last week. the gears dont grind at all, just having to use more effort to shift into gears. it might just be an adjustment required on the turret.

I fitted a Slickshift a few months ago. Initially I didn't get on with it.. struggled to find gears etc. Then I paid a little bit more attention to setting up the balance springs on top of the turret so that the stick wants to sit in line with the 3 to 4 gates when in neutral. Taking time with that adjustment made a significant difference to the feeling of the gear change.

When I was fitting the spacer plate and the new nylon bush, I wondered about the state of the turret... So, as it was only a £10, I then fitted a new turret. That made a difference too.

So... as others have said, if you actually have a knackered box, it won't help, in fact it may amplify problems. However, if the box is okay, and you may have problems just due to a worn turret or out of adjustment springs, then it can make the shift a more relaxed experience. I've now done a couple of thousand miles on mine and really like it.

No connection with the seller but I also need to point out that Shabs Piercy is a top guy to deal with. I had sent a query via the website and he responded very quickly by text to my phone.. (wasn't expecting that!), then helped me with some other stuff. I've also bought a couple of rebuild kits from him too, and he has gone above and beyond the call of duty there too.

• Like 1

I fitted a Slickshift a few months ago. Initially I didn't get on with it.. struggled to find gears etc. Then I paid a little bit more attention to setting up the balance springs on top of the turret so that the stick wants to sit in line with the 3 to 4 gates when in neutral. Taking time with that adjustment made a significant difference to the feeling of the gear change.

When I was fitting the spacer plate and the new nylon bush, I wondered about the state of the turret... So, as it was only a £10, I then fitted a new turret. That made a difference too.

So... as others have said, if you actually have a knackered box, it won't help, in fact it may amplify problems. However, if the box is okay, and you may have problems just due to a worn turret or out of adjustment springs, then it can make the shift a more relaxed experience. I've now done a couple of thousand miles on mine and really like it.

No connection with the seller but I also need to point out that Shabs Piercy is a top guy to deal with. I had sent a query via the website and he responded very quickly by text to my phone.. (wasn't expecting that!), then helped me with some other stuff. I've also bought a couple of rebuild kits from him too, and he has gone above and beyond the call of duty there too.

Great response. i was thinking on the turret. if i cast my mind back, i didnt actual set up the balance. in all honesty it was one of those , do it later things that i didnt actually do. as afr as i can judge. the gearbox is in good condition. its a H designation so should be a Lt77s, so the syncro should be better. no metal on the magnet at the last oil change. no noises going into gear or while in gear. as i said before. i'll stop driving it like a car and give it some TLC

I'm going to order a turret as its the original 25yr old one. as i'm now going to strip the top off . i might as well put a new one on.

I find mine really good, a nice improvement on a good gearbox. Setting the bias spring tension is a critical part of the set up. It's really easy to do and there's even a YouTube video by them to help you get it right. If you haven't done that then you are the Land Rover mechanicing equivalent of a penis.

So if it's not working right, take the pointy nail end of your index finger place it in the middle of your chest. Hey presto you've found the reason it's not working properly ?

Love

Mo

• Like 1

I'm just trying to help, Pete ? though I will concede my reply was, perhaps, a little forthright but sober.

However, when someone posts that "this is **** but I didn't install it properly" I do feel duty bound to point out their erroneous actions.

I'm sure Stephen is a big boy and will see the post in the spirit it was intended and my apologies for not providing a sugar coating.

Mo ?

Yep, taken as intended. in fact i totally agree. i rushed a few things on my truck and have had to learn the lessons and take the medicine. no doubt there'll be something else i've done wrong, no doubt someone on the forum will put me in the right direction again. thats what the forums for. no offence taken. i dont recall saying it was **** . i was just asking if it may have caused any issues and what would the forum do. the mod was good until recently and something changed.

Have a nice day Mo.

steve.

I'd second the fact that Shabs is a top bloke and that it's all about fitting

I've fitted three now - was very sceptical at first, but the customers is always right. I plan to fit one to my Mpi if I don't sell it AND I have the R380 rebuilt. I also fancy one in the 200 Disco as I have recently driven one fitted with such and it was really rather pleasant

Well worth the money imo

One thing I do not do with it though is snatch gears like it is so tempting to do, we have always used quick shifts on out minis (same thing only not so slick) but tearing through the gears on those as fast as you can made short work of the synchro hubs as they get less time to do what they need to.

Just thought I would share

• Like 1

So. To put closure on this topic.

After mulling over what's been said, advise given, experiences aired. pushing my finger into my chest etc. I took the rubber cover off and set the bias spring. The spring wasnt out much at all really. more luck than anything else. anyway went by the book. gave it a wiggle, still felt the same so off for a trip around the block. still the same. i then stripped the turret top off to inspect the inners. the plastic bush was broken, only about a quarter was crumbled away, but maybe enough.  so i struggled with the damn grub screw and finally managed to shift it with a torq bit. new bush fitted. ( i had one that came with the slick shift, didnt fit it because the one in place had no wear.) new grub screw, new turret, swapped bit over from one turret to the other etc. put the lot back together. set the bias spring, changed the oil and then off for trip around the block. 

lovely. no more notchy feeling going through the gears.

i will of course take on the advice about smoother gear changes, pauses when going from one gear to another. 

thanks to everyone for their advice.