ENV Rear Axle wheel bearings

CaMpylobacter

Gidday,

Just going through my wagon - factory 2600cc 109, has an ENV diff.
I've had an issue which stems from the axle breather being blocked in the past - weeping hub seals.

Have dismantled hubs and found that the wheel bearings don't seem to have any grease in them.
Am I meant to pack these with grease or just let it run in sloshed oil from the diff?

only thing that stops this oil getting to the wheel bearings is the spline/axle itself. Doesn't seem to be a felt seal against the circlip like front diffs have under the axle nuts.

• Like 1

I take it you must have a '1 ton' model with those diffs.

I have no specific knowledge of these units, but it would seem good sense to grease the bearings on assembly. If the axle oil has indeed sloshed around that much it's probably washed any original grease away.

IIRC regular series axles had nothing to keep oil away from the wheel bearings.

They were standard fit on the back of the IIA from midway through suffix A chassis numbers (early 1963 I think) with a front one becoming standard fit from Suffix D (mid 1964) to the introduction of the IIB which had them front and rear until 1972, whilst later CKD vehicles (generally assembled in South Africa) had Salisbury axles, the last being put together in 1976.