OT Skoda Gearbox Question

need4speed

My partner is looking to buy the new Octavia Scout DSG.

There are a few reasons for this 1st we both like the looks. It seems to get nothing but good reviews. But most importantly it's auto.

The reason for going auto is mainly due to her having back problems and she's finding her daily commute to work and back, constantly clutching the manual gearbox, is exacerbating her problems.

HOWEVER. As good as the new Octavia seems to be, I have heard people say that the DSG gearbox has a "delay" where if you are sitting at a roundabout and need instant drive to pull away, it just sits there for a second or two before it goes.

This sounds a bit dangerous to me.

Obviously we wouldn't purchase before a good test drive but I was wondering if any of the good peeps on here have one, or have driven one could maybe comment on what they think of it.

We had them at work for a bit with the auto box. I have to say I didn't notice any excessive lag other than what you'd expect from a turbo diesel (which was present). Having said that, i'd usually use it for response driving in the sport mode as I wasn't paying for the fuel!

Also, the cars we had before that were Zafira's so anything was an improvement....

Enjoyed driving them though - lovely cars. Felt very tight and handled well.

I love the dsg found it absolutely fine. Sometimes you can catch it out as you come into a roundabout and it is getting ready with first but you go onto the roundabout without stopping so it needs to go back to second so there is a very slight hesitation but very very small. You can always go into manual mode on gear stick. I would go for it.

Just be aware the DSG in VAG models has a nickname on the various VAG forums of D.og S.hite G.earbox. The 2.7 auto in the A6? mated with this has been a recipe for disaster in older models.

The Haldex clutch however in the Octavia 4x4 is a work of genius. I very nearly bought the 1.9tdi 4x4 to replace my Seat years ago

Just be aware the DSG in VAG models has a nickname on the various VAG forums of D.og S.hite G.earbox. The 2.7 auto in the A6? mated with this has been a recipe for disaster in older models.

The Haldex clutch however in the Octavia 4x4 is a work of genius. I very nearly bought the 1.9tdi 4x4 to replace my Seat years ago

cant comment on its history etc, but a customer of our has just got a 09 plate a6 2.7. (very nice btw) came in for a check over and it had a brand new shiney gearbox. only has 65000miles..

also a friend who is a car saleman, had one in a 11 plate passat fail.. £2500 for him to sort. threw it back in auction in the end. wasnt aware its just a prgramming issue? wonder if vag will still warrenty it if vehicle warrenty has ran out as i known fault?

If the control packs go that's expensive, you can always buy some warranty. I've had 4 and my next one will be DSG too. its great for traffic. Make sure you do the gearbox service on time they don't like old oil. I haven't heard of the clutch packs wearing out. The service is slightly more and there is a slight chance it might break but for me I find it well worth it.

cant comment on its history etc, but a customer of our has just got a 09 plate a6 2.7. (very nice btw) came in for a check over and it had a brand new shiney gearbox. only has 65000miles..

also a friend who is a car saleman, had one in a 11 plate passat fail.. £2500 for him to sort. threw it back in auction in the end. wasnt aware its just a prgramming issue? wonder if vag will still warrenty it if vehicle warrenty has ran out as i known fault?

Probably a good reason it had a nice new gearbox, reverse eventually disappears. Plenty of the older ones on your fave auction site with just needs attention, or don't park forwards against a wall.

Which i believe is a separate issue to the mechatronic fail.

Heard bad things about VAG's recent gearboxes, especially the DSG ones, seems they went one or two compromises too far to make them work (much like the emissions thing). Read an article from someone ex-high-up in the company who suggested their recent management's attitude was "make it work or you're all fired" hence the corner-cutting.

Going back to the original question. I drove a number of Passats with DSG a few years back before I retired. Some petrol others diesel. No noticeable delay on take up at roundabouts except when the stop/start system cut in early. The Passats were usually high mileage company pool cars/hacks. Now have a more recent Fabia with DSG (1.2Tsi). Very pleased with it.

There were some well publicised issues in Australia which led to a recall. From memory, the dry clutch version was prone to overheating, the wet clutch to vapourising of the oil and contamination of the electronics unit. Also some discussion of mineral vs synthetic oil in the box. I also seem to remember a firmware upgrade to alter the gear selection logic which may have been to address a perceived lag.

Forgot to say, may be an urban myth, but sounds plausible.  Some forums were reporting a delay/hesitancy on take up which they attributed to a sticky brake light switch.  The theory went that the brake light switch acted as an inhibit to the accelerator preventing accidental pressure on the accelerator causing unwanted movement.  A sticky switch suppressed the accelerator for slightly longer than intended.  Now that I've remembered may try and press the accelerator whilst holding down the brake sufficiently to work the brake light.

I ran a 54plate golf with DSG from new to +80k miles and never had any issues with it. Thought it was a great gbx in auto or flappy paddle mode. Having said that at the same time I knew of an Audi A3 with same gbx/engine combo that suffered at times from delayed/stuttery take off from stop. I drove it a couple of times and never noticed it myself but owner did take it back to dealer a couple of times.

Sorry for the conflicting views on it but bear in mind it was a long time ago, no idea how much they have changed since then.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the replies folks. AMB that's very interesting. Let me know if you find anything when you try that.

I have now had 2 separate test drives. The 1st was a 184ps DSG VRS hatch. It was only a short test drive with salesguy on board. Nice looking car inside and out but suspension was too crashy on bad roads.

2nd test drive was a full day affair. 150ps DSG estate. VERY impressed. Gearbox was a delight. Never missed a beat. Very nicely appointed cabin. Great build quality. Suspension was nicer than VRS but still not as compliant as I'd like. However I've heard that the Scouts ride is better again.

So with that being said we have ordered one. Pacific Blue Scout DSG 184 with Winterpack (heated windscreen, front seats, mirrors and screen washers). Never had a brand new car before so pretty excited...

Ah, VAG brake light switches, both my better half's Seat and my mum's Audi have had those fail. The Seat was quite dangerous as it cut the power just as she was joining a dual carriageway ('cos you're not allowed to drive with the brakes on, silly!).

On the plus side they're easy enough to change, only tool required is a circus contortionist and a PHD in part numbers as there's about 7 different variations of the same switch and 100 different opinions on which ones are right/wrong/good/bad/dangerous...

6 hours ago, need4speed said:

Thanks for all the replies folks. AMB that's very interesting. Let me know if you find anything when you try that.

I have now had 2 separate test drives. The 1st was a 184ps DSG VRS hatch. It was only a short test drive with salesguy on board. Nice looking car inside and out but suspension was too crashy on bad roads.

2nd test drive was a full day affair. 150ps DSG estate. VERY impressed. Gearbox was a delight. Never missed a beat. Very nicely appointed cabin. Great build quality. Suspension was nicer than VRS but still not as compliant as I'd like. However I've heard that the Scouts ride is better again.

So with that being said we have ordered one. Pacific Blue Scout DSG 184 with Winterpack (heated windscreen, front seats, mirrors and screen washers). Never had a brand new car before so pretty excited...

Will certainly advise if and when I remember when there's no traffic about.  With my memory, you may get the opportunity to try before I remember.

Second your remarks about the VRS.  When I had to choose my last company car I had the Octavia VRS for a couple of days.  Lovely to drive but hard suspension, my wife hated it and "advised me" that I didn't like it! In the end chose a Passat Sport and was very pleased with it.  Tried the BMW 320ed because it was on the company car list and very low tax, but absolutely hated it.

Did you manage to get a no cost fixed price service plan on the deal?  When I bought the Fabia, VW finance were offering a "free" service plan (usual cost £250) if you took out VW finance.  Minimum finance to qualify was £3k, but you could settle inside a month costing you £28.  £28 for one interim and one main service seems pretty good.

Yeah it's funny that the big German car manufacturers call the suspension "dynamic" when it really means "hard".  That's ok when you have German billiard table roads.....

We actually got an absolutely cracking PCH deal. It was a 1-off deal partly due to lucky timing but also due to someone ordering a car (that was luckily the spec we are looking for) and then disappearing..

• 2 weeks later...