Sizing a spare tyre is COMPLICATED... For me anyway.

Berto

Hi All,

My spare currently consists of a rim without a tyre... Not going to do me much good when I get flat!

Problem is, the rim is a different size to the rest of the wheels:

'93 200Tdi with 8 spoke steel rims. 31x10.5R15 (which a converter tells me is equivalent to 265/75R15)

The spare rim is a 16" x 5.5" width (measured between flanges).

Using an online diameter calculator, the original wheels are 779mm diameter which I obviously need to maintain.

The 16" spare rim will accommodate upto a 195 width tyre, but here's the problem...

a 195/90R16 has a wheel diameter of 757mm which is under sized, and I haven't seen anywhere on the internet that sells anything above a 195/80R16 anyway.

I'm not a big off roader, so don't feel the need to have a full width gnarly spare and I suspect eventually the rear door would fall off if I did!

What to do? Do you guys carry full sized matched spares?

(I suppose I could ditch the spare rim)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Berto

• Like 1

I think the answer is pretty easy here.

Do you want a get you home setup, or a proper spare that you could run about on?

If you only do short distance and are usually close to home, then all you need is a spare with a similar diameter. Then treat it a bit like a space saver wheel. It doesn't need to match or be the same width.

If you do longer journeys and further afield, then it would be worth just buying another 15x8 rim and getting a suitable tyre. I'm sure you can find a 2nd hand rim pretty cheap if you look about, and they are only about £50 new anyhow. The fact you need to buy a tyre in either instance, means it'll make little odds really.

• Like 1

I run 265/75/16 tyres on my 110 on modular 16x7 wheels I think. For years, I just carried a 7.50/16 on a standard land rover rim on the back door and considered it a 'get me home'. If you work it out, they are virtually the same diameter +/- 5-10mm I think (but then you could get that difference on our chunky tyres just through wear).

I had a nasty puncture recently on the M6 about 100 miles from home (tyre was wrecked) so i put my spare on and it was fine trundling along at 50 for the rest of my journey home.

I have since got two new tyres for the front of the 110 and put the remaining good but worn tyre onto a new modular rim to match the others - it gives greater peace of mind that i can now just carry on like normal on i am on a long journey (say travelling on holiday) than have to faff about worrying about the odd sized tyre/offset spare.

• Like 1

Be mindful of the fact that having different sized tires on the same axle can be construed as a construction and use offense and can land you with a fine and points under a myriad of different charge codes. But it is a massive can or worms.

If you do go for the "space saver" approach make sure you do the reading up (don't take my word for it) and label it up so it is clear if you do get pulled over for it, I believe it essentially has to be clear that it is for emergency use only and a get me home item.

Same applies for using inner tubes these days

• Like 1

Using tubes in tubeless tyres  , can anyone show me the law that says NO  , because there isnt one .

It is perfectly feasible to use tubes, as long as you buff out the QC labels from inside the casing , as its the glue that causes the tube to perish and then leak . The only caveat would be on high performance car tyres , as it would reduce the speed rating , that is why on very high rated tyres you are not even allowed to do a tubeless repair.

The point about using different sizes/diameters,  on same axle eg a spacesaver  is a valid one as it is specifically covered under con and use regs , so you cant just bung on any old tyre/rim combo  HTSH