VDO boost gauge

Hi all , does anyone know the size of the thread on the back of the above gauge ? I brought the gauge off ebay  and its in very good nick and then I brought a VDO boost gauge fitting kit but all the fittings in the kit are too small can anyone help ?

cheers Ian 

• 2 years later...

Just raising this thread for some advice please Ian.

I too bought a VDO boost gauge (just before Ian put one up for sale!) and I can't get the pipe to hold in the fitting at the back. I have the insert tube that is a good fit into 6mm O/D tube, the little olive that's a good fit over it, and the union. I have tightened but the union won't bite. Do I just need to put some more effort into it? As it's a gauge I am probably being a bit too careful. I presume that I have to deform the olive enough and I probably aren't...

Thanks

Hi Peaklander, I didn’t have the fittings you have and ended up making something up myself , a fitting off eBay and a cable tie to secure it on  :D,  I looked for a Vdo fitting kit but no one sold them separately that I could find so sorry I can’t help, but if I’m reading your problem rite you might need just a bit more force , if each of the parts are quite snug fitting when you try and tighten it up the olive will dig in the rubber tube I would imagine and need a bit of effort to get it to squash down the tube .

I have been distracted by a day of turf laying for daughter #1 today. It's better than the two sessions of serious sewer unblocking at daughter number #2 earlier in the week. When I say serious I mean it!

So it's back on the main job tomorrow and I will try a bit more force Ian and if that doesn't work then I'll take Red90's advice and go up to imperial. Thanks both.

It is 6mm and not 1/4". I  tried a piece of 1/4" and the olive won't fit over it. So I tried harder with 6mm and it is tight now. There are a couple of flats for an 8mm open ender on the gauge so it's actually easy enough to tighten the union and squeeze the olive.

Yes I’m aware of olives but I didn’t try at all hard to crush it. It may be 6mm or a 1/4”. If a 1/4” then the “no crush” insert for the pipe is not very tight. We will see. 

😀 Thanks. I didn't notice the flats on the gauge connection the first time and so I didn't apply enough effort to squeeze the olive, expecting magic instead. I'm pretty sure it's OK now and I have secured the Mud console to the dash now. Soon be driving again.