ianmayco68

VDO boost gauge

Hi all , does anyone know the size of the thread on the back of the above gauge ? I brought the gauge off ebay  and its in very good nick and then I brought a VDO boost gauge fitting kit but all the fittings in the kit are too small can anyone help ?

cheers Ian 

Cheers Dave, its a vision one and you seemed to be right on the thread size. I brought a gen vdo fitting kit but all the adapters are to small so will have to source one from somewhere.

cheers Ian

got the part number of my gauge 150 015 001 and it doesn't match anything on there site so will contact them see if they can help .

Cheers Red90 looked on the vdo web site above and wasn't listed put the number in a web search and got American sites but no info about fitting size.

cheers Ian

It depends if you have a PSI or BAR gauge, the fittings are different. The BAR gauge is M12x1.5 and the PSI one is 1/8NPT 27tpi as far as I can remember, but I can check them outside tomorrow.

Did your gauge not come with a little copper tube an olive and a brass 'nut' to attach to the back of the gauge? Mine came with these, and 6mm nylon tubing fits over the copper tube, and the olive seals it shut against the back of the 'nut'

Mat

Just raising this thread for some advice please Ian.

I too bought a VDO boost gauge (just before Ian put one up for sale!) and I can't get the pipe to hold in the fitting at the back. I have the insert tube that is a good fit into 6mm O/D tube, the little olive that's a good fit over it, and the union. I have tightened but the union won't bite. Do I just need to put some more effort into it? As it's a gauge I am probably being a bit too careful. I presume that I have to deform the olive enough and I probably aren't...

Thanks

It is probably supposed to be 1/4" tube and not 6 mm.

Ah so just a little bigger. That's frustrating.

Hi Peaklander, I didn’t have the fittings you have and ended up making something up myself , a fitting off eBay and a cable tie to secure it on  :D,  I looked for a Vdo fitting kit but no one sold them separately that I could find so sorry I can’t help, but if I’m reading your problem rite you might need just a bit more force , if each of the parts are quite snug fitting when you try and tighten it up the olive will dig in the rubber tube I would imagine and need a bit of effort to get it to squash down the tube .

I have been distracted by a day of turf laying for daughter #1 today. It's better than the two sessions of serious sewer unblocking at daughter number #2 earlier in the week. When I say serious I mean it!

So it's back on the main job tomorrow and I will try a bit more force Ian and if that doesn't work then I'll take Red90's advice and go up to imperial. Thanks both.

The VDO tubing kit is part number 150-851.  Cheap and not hard to find.

It is 6mm and not 1/4". I  tried a piece of 1/4" and the olive won't fit over it. So I tried harder with 6mm and it is tight now. There are a couple of flats for an 8mm open ender on the gauge so it's actually easy enough to tighten the union and squeeze the olive.

The problem is you will have crushed the olive already.  Olives are a single use item.

Yes I’m aware of olives but I didn’t try at all hard to crush it. It may be 6mm or a 1/4”. If a 1/4” then the “no crush” insert for the pipe is not very tight. We will see. 

Okay.  I didn't understand your original issue then.  The olive must be deformed to seal.  That is how it works.

😀 Thanks. I didn't notice the flats on the gauge connection the first time and so I didn't apply enough effort to squeeze the olive, expecting magic instead. I'm pretty sure it's OK now and I have secured the Mud console to the dash now. Soon be driving again.