Can I replace drop arm ball joint without removing arm?

steve2kay

My 300tdi defender failed it's MOT because of play in the ball join on the drop arm.  I read that replacing the ball joint was a pain so decided to just but the complete drop arm/ball joint and replacing the whole thing.  I've now read enough horror stories about getting the drop arm off that I'm thinking of just replacing the ball joint.

So my question is, how difficult is it to service and replace the ball joint while the drop arm is still on the car?

Agree it's a bit easier on the vehicle. However might be worth checking the condition of the socket. I replaced mine to get through an MoT but the lip that holds the gaiter was fubared and the socket pitted as well so replacing the arm is on the cards.

I followed the above guide, and replaced the ball joint a couple of times using a long M12 bolt and a selection of sockets. It's fairly easy really

For better results I would just replace the arm and drag link with the 300tdi disco type, a far better solution long term :)