Ot - Rally Of Wales

MartinEva

After a mammoth drinking session in Sweden a couple of months back, I rashly suggested to my mate that he should bring a couple of friends over for the Welsh rally in September. We can travel down in my camper and we can watch some rallying.

OK. They arrive Thursday. I have never been to the Welsh rally before and now need to provide some hard drinking Swedish rally fans with some top quality Welsh rally action.

I've printed off a list of the stages, but have no idea which are the best.

Anyone been before?

Got any recommendations?

Any Do's and Dont's regarding taking a camper down

Cheers for any tips

Martin

I don't know how fast the camper van will go, but make sure that you keep to the speed limits ALL the way. I used to live in Bridgend, and it was well known to all the locals that South Wales Police love that week for making loads of cash with the 'safety vans'. They are the white ones, and park on quite a few of the bridges along the M4 and some of the wider stretches of 30 zone roads. One that they will almost definately go for, is just before junction 35. A coup[le of years ago, so many people got caught for speeding that they threatened to take the rally away from South Wales.

BBC news

Random local news

What ever you do though, remember that the camera vans are there solely for your safety, not to make money :(

I'm just about to leave for Wales today...

We are doing

Friday Rheola 1/2 SS 3&6 junction 12

Saturday Cardiff SS 13 within the tunnel...

Sunday Resolfen 1/2 SS 14&16 junction 12

Ralph, perhaps we should meet up on Sunday, if you have any job's that require an additional winch or anything let me know :rolleyes::D

Callsign is Buccaneer 2

I'm on Recovery duty at Epynt Stage 8/11 on Sat at the start, Resolven Stage 14/16 on Sun post 19.

Do you need a back up vehicle :P cos i can't afford to pay to go onto the stages :angry::angry:

If not it looks like i'll be walking down to the bottom of my road to watch all the rally cars go by, then watching the higlights on the TV ;)

I don't know how fast the camper van will go, but make sure that you keep to the speed limits ALL the way. I used to live in Bridgend, and it was well known to all the locals that South Wales Police love that week for making loads of cash with the 'safety vans'. They are the white ones, and park on quite a few of the bridges along the M4 and some of the wider stretches of 30 zone roads. One that they will almost definately go for, is just before junction 35. A coup[le of years ago, so many people got caught for speeding that they threatened to take the rally away from South Wales.

Thanks for the replies, and especially the advise above. Thankfully the van, although quite new, is the slowest thing I have ever driven and unlike most modern vehicles, is very easy to drive slowly.

Is it possible to take in more than one stage a day, or is that pushing it a bit?

Martin

I'm just about to leave for Wales today...

We are doing

Friday Rheola 1/2 SS 3&6 junction 12

Saturday Cardiff SS 13 within the tunnel...

Sunday Resolfen 1/2 SS 14&16 junction 12

Ralph, perhaps we should meet up on Sunday, if you have any job's that require an additional winch or anything let me know :rolleyes::D

Callsign is Buccaneer 2

I'll make a note, your just a few post before mine on Resolven, hopefully be able to have a chat before heading home :D

I'm on Recovery duty at Epynt Stage 8/11 on Sat at the start, Resolven Stage 14/16 on Sun post 19.

Do you need a back up vehicle :P cos i can't afford to pay to go onto the stages :angry::angry:

If not it looks like i'll be walking down to the bottom of my road to watch all the rally cars go by, then watching the higlights on the TV ;)

Dave, I wish I could say yes but unfortunatly without the access passes for the vehicle and driver you won't be able to get any further than the 'Halfway' stage spectator car park, plus all the Rally Emergency units must be MSA licenced.

Dave, I wish I could say yes but unfortunatly without the access passes for the vehicle and driver you won't be able to get any further than the 'Halfway' stage spectator car park, plus all the Rally Emergency units must be MSA licenced.

Roger that :(

If you need another pair of hands let me know, i'll be free all weekend and live local

Martin

Last year my father and I managed to do Halfway, Margam and a service trip in one day. :wacko:

My suggestion for seeing the best action: TV!

Ok, You cannot beat the atmosphere of being in wales, but I never managed to see more than 2 stages per day. If you go: at least it is in september, so non of this -10 degrees eskimo stuff.

And for my future employment: I hope colin will drive well!

Daan